TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2018, 1:42 AM   #1
Biff

What antenna would work best?

Thinking of cutting the cord and could use some recommendations. Here's my plot.... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ac942bca26

The channels I'm most worried about getting are : WSMH (FOX), WNEM (CBS), WJRT (ABC), and WEYI (NBC). If I get others, that's great, but these are the most important to me.

I live in a rental so I can't do a roof installation, but I have an upstairs bedroom I don't use where I plan to put an antenna on a tripod. I'm only running it to one tv, probably under 30' of cable. I really don't want a rotor, if possible I'd prefer to set it in place and just have it work for all of them. I'm worried about ABC because it's VHF instead of UHF. I'm worried about CBS because it's off in a different direction from all the rest. And I'm worried about NBC simply because it's the farthest away.

I'm not really sure what antenna, or even style, I should get. I'm thinking those little omni directionals and the windows hangers won't work for me, it seems like I'm to far from the transmitters. Just based on Amazon reviews I was thinking about using a Channel Master CM-4228HD, but I'm not sure that would pick up the Hi VHF ABC station. I was also considering a ClearStream 4V which does have the VHF element on it.

But I really don't know if these, or some other antenna, would be the best option for me. So, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2018, 2:45 PM   #2
jrgagne99

You have some pretty decent signal strengths. An indoor antenna might work, especially if the window you're putting it next to faces east. You will probably need a VHF element to get your ABC. There is a chance it will come in on a UHF-only rig, but I almost doubt it. I recommend a Clearstream2V, 1V, or 2MAX/1MAX with the VHF kits. I don't think you will need the 4 UHF rings, but ADTech might chime in on this.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 2-Mar-2018 at 6:12 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
Biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
You have some pretty decent signal strengths. An indoor antenna might work, especially if the window you're putting it next to faces east. You will probably need a VHF element to get your ABC. There is a chance it will come in on a UHF-only rig, but I almost doubt it. I recommend a Clearstream2V, 1V, or 2MAX/1MAX with the VHF kits. I don't think you will need the 4 UHF rings, but ADTech might chime in on this.
Ok, thanks. I was thinking I'd need bigger, but hey if the smaller Clearstream works it will save me some money. Looking at them I'm debating whether the 2V or the 2Max would be the better route. It seems like maybe the back reflector of the 2V would be a plus?

EDIT: New question to go with the old. Looking at my plot I see WIEK-LD that is only 7.8 miles from me. I was wonder what that is since it doesn't list a network. I tried to look it up and all I found was that it's a "translator". I'm wondering if that is a relay station or something? But for what station or station? I'm just wondering what I could get if I pointed towards that since it's really close to me.

Last edited by Biff; 3-Mar-2018 at 3:42 AM.
Old 3-Mar-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ok, thanks. I was thinking I'd need bigger, but hey if the smaller Clearstream works it will save me some money. Looking at them I'm debating whether the 2V or the 2Max would be the better route. It seems like maybe the back reflector of the 2V would be a plus?
It is difficult to predict the results with an indoor antenna; testing is required. The TVFool report is based on an antenna outdoors and in the clear.

You might need more than one antenna to get all that you want.
Quote:
EDIT: New question to go with the old. Looking at my plot I see WIEK-LD that is only 7.8 miles from me. I was wonder what that is since it doesn't list a network. I tried to look it up and all I found was that it's a "translator". I'm wondering if that is a relay station or something? But for what station or station? I'm just wondering what I could get if I pointed towards that since it's really close to me.
WIEK is listed as off the air:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=WIEK

If you hover your cursor on the white X on red, you will see that.

Last edited by rabbit73; 3-Mar-2018 at 11:49 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2018, 4:01 AM   #5
Biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
You might need more than one antenna to get all that you want.
Hmmm, ok thanks. Guess I just need to get one and see what I can get and go from there.