TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2018, 9:07 PM   #1
Dmcintyre

New Antenna Advice

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice on which antenna to purchase. In looking at the available channels, all of the ones I want are in the same direction, being FOX, CBS and NBC. I want to install the antenna in the attic. Looking for recommendations on the best antenna.

Thanks for the help everyone!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90381c99f17c71
Dmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
jrgagne99

It sounds like you're after WXIA (NBC, real channel 10), WGCL (CBS, real 19) and WAGA (Fox, real 27). All around 238-degrees magnetic. Is this correct? If so, you'll need something with VHF-Hi elements for the WXIA, and UHF elements for the others. The Winegard 7694P might be enough antenna for you. Another recommendation is the Denny Stacker. Since it has a smaller footprint, it might fit better in the attic and is also more powerful. Shingles, sheathing, and rafters attenuate signals, so you might need to mount it outside, especially if trees are nearby. Your signals are moderately strong, so you may be ok in the attic. Suck and see. But if you have a metal roof, I think you can forget about an attic install.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2018, 3:02 PM   #3
Jake V

First, be aware that attics and antennas do not always mix well. Roofing materials and siding can block signals (especially if they contain metal foil). So do chimneys and metal duct-work and electrical cables.

That said, if this were my plot I'd probably start with an Antennas Direct DB-4e with VHF Kit. Since your signals are from roughly opposite directions I'd remove the reflector from the DB-4e to make it bi-directional. Then I'd aim it northeast (about 45 degrees on a compass).

You have a lot of 2-edge signals. It may be necessary to try several locations in the attic (and certainly try several before permanently mounting it). If that doesn't work, you'll need to get it on the roof.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2018, 4:43 PM   #4
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
...Since your signals are from roughly opposite directions I'd remove the reflector from the DB-4e to make it bi-directional....
Original poster said he is only interested in the signals to the southwest. Further, I doubt the VHF kit will pull in WXIA NBC on Real Channel 10 in an attic installation. Maybe outside, but in the attic would be a long shot, IMHO.

Instead of the 7694 or Stacker I first recommended, He could consider a 4-bay and an MCM-30-2475 (or its big brother 30-2476) and combine with a UVSJ. That would give him the flexibility to try to pick up stations at 32-degrees magnetic, though he didn't say those were a priority.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 15-Feb-2018 at 4:48 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
Dmcintyre

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it works out
Dmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote