TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Feb-2018, 6:10 PM   #1
hansmike

Need help. 140 degree offsetting sources.

Hi all, new to the forum, I've tried to do as much research as I could using this forum before posting, but am on information overload!

I live about halfway between two cities (Springfield, MA and Hartford, CT) and would like to pick up the stations from both. I'm mostly interested in real channel 34 (S), 11 (NNE), 36 (S), 26 (NNE), and 22 (NNE), but obviously would like as many as I can.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038fb062e75be

Currently, I have two directional yagi antennas in my attic attached the same pole with a passive combiner and no amp. I know, not ideal, but it seems to 'mostly' work. The signal can get choppy and I get severely frustrated. I'm familiar that two signals could be out of phase and causing the interruptions. I've done a bit of research and learned that most of this forum tends to stay away from omnidirectional antennas, and I would not want a rotor or A/B switch.

What would my best option be? Considering the stations I want clear are fairly close, would an omni work well? I've also read of bi-directional antennas like the Clearstream 4MAX which works best at 180 degrees opposite of each other, but if I turned it 20 degrees off direction, would it work well enough for the 140 degree offset? Another thought would be to separate my current antennas and maybe put something to block the opposing signal in between, like some plywood covered in aluminum foil or something. Any input will be appreciated!
hansmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, hansmike

Quote:
Currently, I have two directional yagi antennas in my attic attached the same pole with a passive combiner and no amp.
What yagis are you using? Are they for UHF only, or also for VHF for WWLP NBC on real channel 11?
Quote:
I'm familiar that two signals could be out of phase and causing the interruptions.
Yes, sometimes it works; sometimes, not. First, you try each antenna separate and not combined. Then, if you don't have all the channels combined that you had when they were separate, that method of combining with a splitter in reverse doesn't work for you.
Quote:
I've done a bit of research and learned that most of this forum tends to stay away from omnidirectional antennas
You can try it to satisfy your curiosity, but it probably will not work for you. An Omni receives poorly in all directions.

Last edited by rabbit73; 3-Feb-2018 at 12:28 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

My usual suggestion for maximized reception with a plot like that would be a DB4e with the reflectors removed plus a VHF dipole.

For something out-of-a-retail-box, the C2MAX or C2V (reflectorless) would be my first choice, followed closely by the C4MAX or a C4V (reflectorless). The beamwidth of the C4/C4MAX is right on the edge of predictiability.

Many times, choppiness as you described is caused by factors such as trees shredding the signals. Being in an attic will exacerbate the problem by adding additional multi-path.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I agree with ADTech. The CS2MAX or the C2V without reflector and with the VHF dipole, has the wide bi-directional 70 degree beamwidth that might work for you.
Quote:
The signal can get choppy and I get severely frustrated.
All channels, or just certain channels?
Quote:
I would not want a rotor or A/B switch.
There is another alternative with two antennas: Connect the main antenna to the TV antenna input, and connect the second antenna to a separate tuner, with its output connected to the TV aux input.
Quote:
Another thought would be to separate my current antennas and maybe put something to block the opposing signal in between, like some plywood covered in aluminum foil or something.
Since you already have almost everything you need, that would be an interesting test. But first, see if each antenna gets the channels you want when not combined.

Last edited by rabbit73; 3-Feb-2018 at 12:41 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
hansmike

Thanks for all of your feedback!

I wound up going with the Clearstream 2Max. I mounted it outside last night and currently getting much better reception than before. It seems to pick up both directions perfectly.
hansmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Thanks for updating your report. Always good to hear of a successful install!

Best of luck!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote