TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Mar-2018, 10:30 PM   #101
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

It means that the station currently transmitting on 25 will go off the air and they will become a "guest" on the "host's" post-repack channel and will be treated like a sub-channel as far as your tuner is concerned.

"Channel sharing" is exactly what it says. There will be two stations on one signal, sharing the bandwidth under the terms of their contractual agreement. The guest will pay the host for the right to use an allocated portion of the channel's bandwidth.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2018, 12:56 PM   #102
jrgagne99

It's weird, because WNNE is already broadcasting the exact same content as as WPTZ 5.1 (NBC). In fact, I think WNNE is a translator for WPTZ. Also, WPTZ already has three channels on its signal: NBC (1080i), CW (720p), and MeTV (480i). Could they squeeze one more sub-channel channel into the signal? Even if they could, it wouldn't make any sense to have two subchannels with exactly the same content.

Clarification: (from Wikipedia)
WNNE serves as a full-time satellite of WPTZ (channel 5), the NBC affiliate for Plattsburgh, New York and Burlington, Vermont. WNNE airs the same broadcast schedule as its parent station, but airs some limited advertising specific to the Upper Valley (Hanover NH area) that is added to WPTZ's programming.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 20-Mar-2018 at 2:06 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2018, 3:32 PM   #103
jrgagne99

The Channel-sharing arrangement took effect last week. WNNE (real 25, virtual 31.1, NBC) which had the exact same content as WPTZ (real 14, virtual 5.1, NBC) ceased broadcasting from its tower on Mount Ascutney. On WPTZ's bundle, virtual channel 5.2 (CW) is gone- it has moved up to 31.1 on my virtual dial and now shows a WNNE word-mark at the top of each hour. So essentially, WNNE is now a CW affiliate instead of an NBC affiliate. Inspection of the channel 31.1 signal on my Sony Bravia shows it is being broadcast on Real-14 (WPTZ's frequency), which I guess is the essence of channel sharing.

At the end of the day, I personally didn't lose any programming content, since I was receiving both WNNE and WPTZ signals. But anyone who couldn't get WPTZ in my area (the vast majority of folks) essentially lost their NBC affiliate when WNNE stopped broadcasting locally as part of this "Channel Sharing" arrangement. Kind of a bum deal.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 2-Aug-2018 at 3:39 PM.
Old 2-Aug-2018, 4:17 PM   #104
Nascarken
Banned

Yes On the solid signal HDB91 side by side 3ft apart feed line's the same length and
Beside free shipping on the HDB,91 I did and it work's well you will be happy with it
I was!!lol with my 150ft tower receive of channel's was right on the money lol
And yes one feed line for vhf&one for uhf and I suggest you use RG11.for best results.
Lol good luck with your antenna set-up and be safe on the roof and look out for power lines when installing an outdoor tv antenna!!!
PS,or maybe you should just go with the Winegrud,8200U
With a channel master 7777amp..And for get about that
OTHER mess and I am sure you will be happy as a pig,in sht.lol
And up north look out becuse BROADCASTING station for all
Of Boston Mass and so on for Over the aire Broadcasting
That thay say is going too nock your soxs off lol and besides
In this neck of the woods the fcc suggests that you use a combow outdoor tv antenna like the 8200u.I hope this put's
A good spin on things and up north dount for get the channel master 7777amp becuse their is no worries about over load.
With all IT'S Montana and so on lol

Last edited by Nascarken; 2-Aug-2018 at 5:41 PM.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2018, 8:23 PM   #105
Nascarken
Banned

Yes and you should probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
It means that the station currently transmitting on 25 will go off the air and they will become a "guest" on the "host's" post-repack channel and will be treated like a sub-channel as far as your tuner is concerned.

"Channel sharing" is exactly what it says. There will be two stations on one signal, sharing the bandwidth under the terms of their contractual agreement. The guest will pay the host for the right to use an allocated portion of the channel's bandwidth.
Yes and you should probably start seeing low band vhf as well.
Up north in are neck of the woods in Boston and New York city.And so on
And that is why the Fcc.suggest you buy a combination hi&low band vhf/uh F like the 8200u.
Outdoor tv antennas not just a uhf or hi vhf outdoor tv antenna like the
DB8,the HDB91 and the antennas Direct,91XG,so dount cut your self short
When getting an outdoor tv antenna and I suggest that you use RG,11,for
Best results in installing an outdoor tv antenna,good luck and if you
Dount believe me go to Fcc, .com good luck with your antenna set-up and
What you choose to do.

Last edited by Nascarken; 2-Aug-2018 at 8:27 PM.
Old 3-Aug-2018, 2:07 PM   #106
jrgagne99

I'd rather not have this discussion be derailed by antenna and preamp recommendations for a problem that is already solved. My setup is complete and working swimmingly, as described in posts #90 and #98.

Back to Channel Sharing...

Has anyone else experienced a so-called Channel Sharing agreement like what I have described in post #103? One in which, for most people, basically amounts to a station just going off the air? Is this common, and will it be more common as the Repack moves forward?
Old 3-Aug-2018, 3:43 PM   #107
Nascarken
Banned

IT'S time too start a new thread ???
All you should probably do is go with Rg11,
Instead of the 6

Last edited by Nascarken; 24-May-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 5-Aug-2018, 10:13 PM   #108
OTAFAN

Quote:
And that is why the Fcc.suggest you buy a combination hi&low band vhf/uh F like the 8200u.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tion?from=home
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2018, 11:23 PM   #109
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
I'd rather not have this discussion be derailed by antenna and preamp recommendations for a problem that is already solved. My setup is complete and working swimmingly, as described in posts #90 and #98.

Back to Channel Sharing...

Has anyone else experienced a so-called Channel Sharing agreement like what I have described in post #103? One in which, for most people, basically amounts to a station just going off the air? Is this common, and will it be more common as the Repack moves forward?
It is only common for the channels that agreed to that arrangement during the auction. The channel that stays on the air is called the Host (H); the channel that gave up its license is called the Guest (G).
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Aug-2018, 1:48 PM   #110
JoeAZ

In my hometown of Buffalo, NY, the longtime CBS affiliate, WIVB, turned in their license. They had always broadcast from Colden, NY, which is elevated and about 20 miles south of Buffalo. They are now "channel sharing" with the CW affiliate, WNLO, which broadcasts from Grand Island, about 5 miles
north of Buffalo. Grand Island is just about at sea level. All the folks in the southtowns who received the Colden signal cleanly either receive no signal at all or a very poor signal from Grand Island. In essence, many have lost CBS programming.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2019, 8:19 PM   #111
jrgagne99

I have the opportunity to borrow my neighbor's 60-ft man-lift again this weekend to service my tree-mounted antenna array. This may be the last time I get to do any maintenance up there for several years. I'm planning to re-aim and re-secure my 30-2476 VHF antenna which has been blown off by 45-degrees. I was also planning on replacing some my non-UV-stabilized zip ties with UV-stabilized ones, and putting dielectric grease in the barrel connectors.

My questions are what kind of dielectric grease should I use, and is there anything else I should do while I'm up there, considering I probably wont have access again for several years?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24-May-2019, 10:09 PM   #112
OTAFAN

Quote:
My questions are what kind of dielectric grease should I use, and is there anything else I should do while I'm up there, considering I probably wont have access again for several years?

Hi jrgagne99: I use and would recommend Coax-Seal. It will stay put on your connections as long as you need it and does come off fairly easily when you want to remove it. I've only read a very few posters across the Net not liking it. The link below will give you their information and you can buy it off Amazon as well. (I am in no way affiliated with Coax-Seal. Just a hard core OTA enthusiast offering a tip).

http://coaxseal.com

As far as dielectric grease goes, I use Caig DeoxIT D5 spray to improve conductivity. But that's just been my preference. Although they do have grease too. Someone else may have the "cat's meow" on grease. You can find them at: www.caig.com

Stay safe up there in the trees and please post back your results as I would be interested in seeing how everything came out.

All the best!

Last edited by OTAFAN; 24-May-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: format
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2019, 11:15 PM   #113
Tower Guy

Silicone grease is often used on O-rings. That is what Andrew (now Commscope) packaged with their connectors for high powered coax called Heliax. I never bought any silicone grease because I’ve always had some left over. Silicone based O-ring grease is available from Lowe’s.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/aqua-ez-o-r...iABEgK3APD_BwE
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-May-2019, 1:28 AM   #114
Tim

I prefer silicone fusing tape to the coax seal. It adheres to itself and fuses together. It leaves no residue when removed. You can simply slit it gently with a razor knife and peel it off easily if you have to remove it. The bond is permanent, waterproof, resists weathering and UV deterioration. It stretches around uneven shapes and forms a really tight seal. I use it for all my TV and ham radio antenna connections. I have opened up connections that are over 10 years old and found them just like the day I installed them. It is really great stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41zS9poa8ML._SX342_.jpg (11.9 KB, 817 views)
Old 25-Jun-2019, 6:41 PM   #115
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
...please post back your results as I would be interested in seeing how everything came out.
I was reluctant to undo the coax connections up in the tree, for fear of messing something up unnecessarily. So rather than take the connections apart and applying grease, I decided to just use the silicone fusing tape that Tim recommended. I wrapped the tape tightly around each coax connection and it seemed like it would be a pretty water-resistant seal. I also replaced some of the zip-ties up there with UV-resistant versions and trimmed a couple of branches while I was there. Hopefully the setup will continue to function well (all five major networks from 72.5 miles away) for many years to come.