TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Feb-2018, 5:13 PM   #21
jrgagne99

Are you after PBS on real channel 10 from Calais? If so, you'll need to add a rotor to your shopping list. My preference would be to try to pick up PBS on real channel 9 from Orono- then you won't need a rotor. That will be tricky at NM=-10 dB, but is probably preferable to having a rotor up there. I've heard that rotors can be very prone to early failure, and your VHF-low antenna will be big and put even more stress on it.

If you receive PBS from Orono without the rotor-- Good.

If not-- you're only missing PBS... (although the Kid's programming is great if you have little ones).

Last edited by jrgagne99; 5-Feb-2018 at 5:18 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2018, 5:33 PM   #22
jrgagne99

Assuming you're after the Big-4 Networks + PBS, it would appear that you don't need any UHF capability because FOX is simulcast with ABC on WVII real-7. In fact, except for NBC, all the networks are on VHF-Hi and are not planning to move with the re-pack. The best antenna for VHF-hi is the Stellar Labs 30-2476. So if you can live without NBC, that is what I would recommend. If NBC is a must-have, you'll need something with VHF-low elements (i.e. HD8200, CM-5020, etc.)

The salty air you mentioned earlier is even more of reason to avoid a rotor, IMHO.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 5-Feb-2018 at 5:36 PM.
Old 5-Feb-2018, 5:43 PM   #23
Shareit4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
Assuming you're after the Big-4 Networks + PBS, it would appear that you don't need any UHF capability because FOX is simulcast with ABC on WVII real-7. In fact, except for NBC, all the networks are on VHF-Hi and are not planning to move with the re-pack. The best antenna for VHF-hi is the Stellar Labs 30-2476. So if you can live without NBC, that is what I would recommend. If NBC is a must-have, you'll need something with VHF-low elements (i.e. HD8200, CM-5020, etc.)

The salty air you mentioned earlier is even more of reason to avoid a rotor, IMHO.
Thank you,
I can live without PBS if I needed to.
My wife has all her programs on NBC so I am going to need to try and grab that channel.
Do you think that the Steller Labs 30-2476 is a better option than the HD 8200 for grabbing VHF -hi channels?
Also the long distance and poor signal strength concerns me.
Shareit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2018, 5:59 PM   #24
jrgagne99

My bet is the 30-2476 is better than the 8200 for VHF-Hi, but I don't know for sure. Comparing specs across antenna manufactures is a crap-shoot.

Since NBC is a must-have, I think I would go with the HD8200 or the Solid-signal clone. Too bad there is not a VHF-only rig for sale anymore... You might consider purchasing the 30-2476 as well, and having that and the 8200 both ready to try when you rent your man-lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareit4life View Post
Also the long distance and poor signal strength concerns me.
The key metric is the Noise Margin. Negative single-digit numbers are hard. Negative numbers in the teens are almost impossible. If you do receive them, it's probably because the report is wrong.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 5-Feb-2018 at 6:42 PM.
Old 5-Feb-2018, 6:57 PM   #25
Shareit4life

Thank you,
ill grab both of them to test and see what happens.
Shareit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2018, 7:05 PM   #26
jrgagne99

Yeah, the HD8200 may not quite have the sensitivity to pick up WABI-13 (CBS) and WMEB-9 (PBS). Whereas the MCM-30-2476 may pull these in, but it will almost certainly miss WLBZ-2 (NBC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
Comparing specs across antenna manufactures is a crap-shoot.
But here it goes:

Winegard says the HD8200 gain over channels 7-13 is 10.4-12 dBd.
Stellar Labs says the 30-2476 gain over channels 7-13 is 10-14 dB, but doesn't specify whether this is dBi or dBd (dBi=dBd+2.15). I suspect it is dBd, so would ostensibly be apples to apples to the HD8200.

Here is an interesting link from a guy who extended the boom on a 30-2476 by using donor parts from duplicate units to dramatically improve his reception: https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/20...-labs-30-2476/. It might be relevant for you if neither the HD8200 or the 30-2476 pulls in WABI-13 and WMEB-9 off-the-shelf.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 5-Feb-2018 at 7:54 PM.
Old 6-Feb-2018, 3:59 AM   #27
wizwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Bangor ME has the distinction of being the only city in the whole country where a channel 2-13 antenna, if any still existed, would be all that's needed. With the DB8e, you should get WFVX-LD and maybe WMEB.
Mostly true, but you need UHF for WCSH which is NBC and carries Antenna TV and Justice Network. I know TVFool lists CSH as a Tropo, but I pulled it in through the back of a DB8e in southern New Hampshire.

We put a Stellar Labs 30-2476 on a roof in Ebeemee Township Maine which is a little northwest of Harrington. We were able to pull in ABC, CBS, CW, Decades, and Fox on WVII and WABI. Add NBC (plus ION and Justice Network) on WLBZ with one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Comp...hf-low+antenna

That's pretty good TV for the middle of nowhere
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

WCSH is 153 miles from the OP's location and 115 miles from downtown Bangor. It ain't coming in unless tropo is running hot. It's not expected to serve the Bangor area.

Estimated coverage of WCSH: https://rabbitears.info/contour.php?...=&cir=&circen=

What's receivable in southern NH is a different matter and really doesn't apply to this particular conversation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 6-Feb-2018 at 11:18 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Add NBC (plus ION and Justice Network) on WLBZ with one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Comp...hf-low+antenna
I strongly doubt that antenna will pull in WLBZ with an NM of only 9 dB. I think you need more horsepower than that.
Old 6-Feb-2018, 1:04 PM   #30
ADTech

FWIW, the HD7000 is pretty much the same as the RCA 751 with a few bolt-on extra pieces for optional low-VHF improvement. I've got one that I included in my last antenna comparison shootout from last spring.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 6-Feb-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
OTAFAN

Do you have a link to that shootout or where you posted it, ADTech?

Thanks!

Last edited by OTAFAN; 6-Feb-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: quote highlight did not work
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2018, 10:46 AM   #32
ADTech

It was done for internal use only by our marketing department.