TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Apr-2012, 7:02 PM   #1
dakota dan

Question Can you use electrical outlets as TV antenna?

I have a rural home that will not work for easy OTA external antenna setup. Broadcast stations are 60 miles away and the terrain is hilly.
I would like to know if anyone has knowledge of a solution to make an entire building an antenna by using an electrical outlet as the antenna feed. I use outlets today for easy room to room Internet connections and works great.
dakota dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2012, 7:20 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Over the years, a few products have been marketed that attempted to use the power line as an antenna. Off the top of my head, I'm not aware of any currently on the market.

A fundamental problem with the concept is that no electrician is going to attempt to arrange the wires in the wall so that they would form an efficient, functional antenna. Then, the motors and electronic devises connected to the power line are generators of interference to varying degrees. Finally, if there is a failure of an insulating component in the 'antenna/power-line coupler, you could have 120 VAC connected to the TV antenna input. That seems like something I would not want to happen. Bottom line, the products came and went the way of other 'gimmick' products that may have worked for a few, but were marketed as 'miracles'.

With no TV Fool signal prediction report to look at, I'm still quite confident that signal levels 60 miles from the transmitters will likely call for a real antenna.

Please read the Guidelines when asking for help. Post a link to your TV Fool report, and we will be able to suggest a solution tailored to your situation.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Apr-2012 at 7:26 PM. Reason: grammar
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2012, 2:39 AM   #3
dakota dan

experimentation with OTA solutions

I just do not want to throw money at solutions that turn out not to be solutions. any recommended antennas that have proven to work? I see advertised deals on antenna on this site like Orca Long Range Outdoor Antenna, LAVA Amplified HDTV Antenna, etc. surely there is one that stands out as worth the price and will deliver local TV channels from 60+ miles. Satellite service is too expensive when all I want are local channels for live news, etc. I don't need 140+ channels. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-Apr-2012, 2:53 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Please read the Guidelines when asking for help, then post a link to your TV Fool report. We need the information contained in that report in order to suggest a solution tailored to your situation.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2012, 3:07 AM   #5
dakota dan

TV fool report of my location

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3616f75786838a

any national channel with local and national news would be top choice and then I would like to receive PBS channel if possible. no antenna used at this time. tried some radio shack units but no signal was found. seems the report indicates I need to place an antenna 10 feet above the ground at least. I am concerned about roof antenna due to high winds in this area.
Old 10-Apr-2012, 3:17 AM   #6
Dave Loudin

There is no standard for quoting mileage ranges for antennas. For sure, a manfacturer would quote ranges where there are no hills or mountains in the way. Unfortunately for you, there's quite a lot of terrain blocking you from receiving much of anything. To see what I mean, click on the entry for KCLO in the table of your report. A new window showing the path profile between the antenna on the left and you on the right. See how that station's signal sails right over you?

I'd say you have a shot at one, maybe two channels, both VHF.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2012, 3:37 AM   #7
dakota dan

very cool profile report

thanks for the feedback and pointing out the transmitter profile report. very cool and really points out why the terrain is my problem for OTA solutions. If there was a $10 a month satellite solution with local channel support I would consider it. Or over the Internet TV might be my solution and not OTA.
again thank you.
Old 10-Apr-2012, 5:22 PM   #8
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

A Winegard HD7084P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamplifier on top of a 150 foot tower with the antenna aimed at about 0 degree magnetic compass will get you , K39LT-D 39 PBS , KOTA-TV 02 ABC and Me-Tv and This Tv , KEVN-TV 07 FOX.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2012, 5:22 AM   #9
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Also look into FTA = Free To Air Satellite Tv. http://www.ftalist.com is a good place to start.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote