TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Sep-2014, 7:07 PM   #1
Jake V

Smile Antenna Recommendation for Moscow (PA)

My brother has asked me to recommend an antenna setup so he can drop cable and still watch football.

Here's the plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243ea96a8f384

I'd like to ask for a few different recommendations:

1. Because of wife factor he's asked if he'd have success putting the antenna in the garage looking west through a window. [I gave him a definite "maybe", probably better than an attic, but maybe worse.] What would be your recommendation for such a set up?

2. Rooftop antenna. First for all the Scranton local stations (first seven stations in green). Then for a try at WBNG-7 in Binghamton (CBS, for alternate football games - but unlikely at -4.7 dB).

I have my own recommendation, but don't want to bias any of the real experts.

Many thanks.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Jake,

Not too bad of a reception situation. If I were doing this, I'd install a two antenna set up. You'll notice you have UHF and some high-VHF. In some cases with strong high-VHF signals, a UHF antenna will do just fine. In this case, the VHF signals are on the lower end of good with a 1-edge obstruction so a dedicated antenna is the safest bet.

Antenna 1: Antenna's Direct DB8e. One panel orientated to magnetic 250. Second panel orientated to magnetic 325. ABC, CW, FOX, ION and PBS will be received via this antenna.

Antenna 2: Antennacraft Y5713. This is a high-VHF only antenna. This will be dedicated for CBS and NBC. Orientate to magnetic heading 250.

Further elaboration is needed in regards to length of coax and how many TVs will be serviced before additional equipment can be suggested.

A roof mount with a tripod or a chimney mount is idea for these two antenna situations.

WBNG RF 7 CBS isn't worth the hassle. As you noticed it's in the negative signal strengths, plus additionally, it has co-channel interference. The chances of reception of that signal I would put on the very low side. It would also require some reworking of this suggestion. Negative signal strengths are the domain of luck and/or large antenna arrays.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 12:22 AM   #3
Jake V

Smile

Stephanie,

Thanks. Yes, the DB-8e on the roof was going to be my recommendation. I was thinking it might also pick up the two VHF-Hi stations as well since both are in the mid 40s so try one at a time.

Thanks again,

Jake
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 5:14 AM   #4
StephanieS

Doesn't hurt to try sans the Y5713 first. It's a 50/50 shot at those signal strength for NBC and CBS being 100% reliable with the DB8e.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote