TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jun-2012, 2:39 AM   #21
pointer

Funny!
When I entered "not channels 3,6,8,10,12. no analog stations" I meant that I'm not interested in receiving these. Of course there's no antenna that will reject them!

I was hoping to make this discussion simpler by listing the ones I want in order to eliminate speculations about what I want in the messages above.
pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2012, 3:09 AM   #22
Electron

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=9455

Most of the new digital Tv,s will not tune directly to the real channel by selecting the real channel number.

Be it a analog or digital channel.

The Tv will scan for the channels , the Tv will select the real channel but display the virtual channel.

Some Tv,s like , Sony , Samsung , Panasonic , will allow the REAL channel number to be selected without scanning first and display the the real channel and virtual channel numbers.

If you will like to read about real channel selection and virtual channel selection , it is called PSIP.

Last edited by Electron; 30-Jun-2012 at 6:07 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2012, 5:51 AM   #23
Electron

Most converter boxes will not allow direct real channel number entry.

The converter box scans for channels and selects the the REAL channels and displays the virtual channel number.

Some converter boxes will allow direct REAL channel number entry but only after scanning for channels first.

And some converter boxes will allow direct REAL channel number entry with out scanning first.

All of the above also applies to Tv,s .

Last edited by Electron; 29-Jun-2012 at 8:44 AM.
Old 29-Jun-2012, 7:38 AM   #24
GroundUrMast

I'd say you're at the point were a new antenna is the next reasonable step.

The HD7084P has enough gain to eliminate the need for an amplifier. KLCS is the weakest on your list of 'must have' signals. A noise margin of 13.9 dB plus antenna gain of about 12 dB gives you a net NM of 25.9 dB. That's enough to drive the 4-way splitter (7 dB loss) and 100' of RG-6 (about 6 dB of loss) leaving you with about a 12 dB NM at the TV. If you go this route, be sure to install the FM trap between the antenna and splitter and before any amplifier.

The HD7698P is very close to the same UHF performance (about 1 dB more gain). It's more expensive.

You can always put the AP4700 back up if the numbers in the real world come up short.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
pointer

7084P sounds good, but in the Los Angeles area there's a lot of low VHF which will be picked up by it. I'm wondering if that will disrupt the converters.

On the other hand the 7698P doesn't catch the low VHF, and my list includes only high VHF and UHF channels.

Is there any data that would steer the choice?
Old 29-Jun-2012, 10:23 PM   #26
pointer

Side issue: checking the antennas and amplifiers at Winegard.com.

It has not opened to Safari browser all week, and RoadRunner (my ISP) told me that they are sending the messages but Winegard.com simply doesn't respond. They think the site is down.

I left a phone message at Winegard, but there hasn't been any response.

Are others having the same problem?
Old 29-Jun-2012, 10:39 PM   #27
GroundUrMast

http://www.winegarddirect.com/ is up as of this moment.

http://www.winegard.com/home/index.php is also responding.

I'm using FireFox via the local telco DSL service.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2012, 10:49 PM   #28
Electron

On page 1 of your post here I provided the link to Winegard Direct , I tried it and it works fine.
Here it is again , http://www.winegarddirect.com.
I see that , http://www.solidsignal.com is selling the HD7084P for Less money then the HD7698P.

The HD7084P receives ALL the channels , VHF low band 2 thru 6 , VHF high band 7 thru 13 , UHF band 14 thru 69.

The HD7698P antenna is designed to receive , VHF high band 7 thru 13 , UHF band 14 thru 69.

NO the VHF low band channels ->Will Not Disrupt<- the reception of the converter boxes and Tv's.

As a matter of cold hard fact , converter boxes and Tv's are in fact made to receive the Tv channels , VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high band 7 thru 13 , UHF band 14 thru 69.

And that is 100% the truth.
Old 30-Jun-2012, 1:24 AM   #29
Electron

I have 2 Mac's. No problems , I use search engine Google most of the time to find stuff on the internet. Yahoo , Bing , also work.

I suspect that even a off brand search engine , what ever that would be , would allow the typing in of the word Google in the off brand search engine search box and take you to Google.

Last edited by Electron; 30-Jun-2012 at 4:11 PM.
Old 30-Jun-2012, 2:33 AM   #30
pointer

Will a stronger antenna help or hurt?

Thanks for testing access to winegard.com.

Yesterday the roadrunner ISP tech said that the site was down, and you disproved that.

Today I got a better tech who was thorough and found that the problem is in my Netgear router by bypassing it.

My lucky day! (So far.)

I got into the router's program, but the list of blocked sites is empty, no winegard or any other. I guess I'll have to bypass the router in order to get to that one site.

BTW, I haven't had such a problem with any other site, including winegarddirect.
Old 30-Jun-2012, 5:59 AM   #31
Electron

That is Winegard Direct , http://www.winegarddirect.com .
Winegard Direct goes straight to information and antennas and etc.

Winegard.com http://www.winegard.com , is more of a general purpose site that has a longer process of geting from point A to point B.
Old 13-Jul-2012, 3:55 AM   #32
pointer

Fixed! (I hope.)

I mounted the 7084 antenna today and it has many of the appearances of working, with the AP4700 amplifier in place. The weak channels are all coming in.

We'll know in a few months, when the weather changes grossly, if I have to shift the direction again. If so, then I think I have to do some major work to supply power and controls wires to put on antenna rotor.

It's much bigger than the old CA7078, so I have my fears about our high winds twisting it around.

Winegard.com is now available online, unlike a week ago. After much troubleshooting, it turns out my router went bad, so I put in a new one which seems to have solved the problem. Very odd form of failure.

Thanks, all, for your help. i couldn't have done it without you.
Old 13-Jul-2012, 7:28 AM   #33
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

The AP4700 is a Uhf only amplifier.

The AP8700 is a VHF and UHF amplifier.

Your location has VHF and UHF transmissions.