TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Oct-2015, 8:07 PM   #1
jeff92k7

Question Outdoor Antenna Grounding Question

Because of the way our house was built and the direction of the TV towers, I will be installing an outdoor antenna on the opposite end from where the electrical panel (and ground rod) are located. My question isn't about reception as I've already worked all that out, but my question is about proper grounding for the antenna. I got a second ground rod and appropriate copper wire for grounding the outdoor antenna mast to the new ground rod, but from what I see online, the second ground rod needs to be tied to the existing ground rod at the far end of the house. So here is my multi-part question

1. How important is that connection between the two ground rods? i.e. If it takes me a couple weeks to get the additional wire and connect it, will my house burn down?

2.a. Does that ground wire connection have to be run around the exterior of the house? Due to the slope of the ground, the antenna end is single story, but the far end at the panel is two story (exposed basement).
2.b. If it has to be outside, then is it acceptable to run it perpendicular to the house (flat) between the two ends? i.e. bottom of the first story at the high end, and straight across to between the two stories at the far end, then curving down to the existing ground rod.

3.a. Is it acceptable to run it through the house (across the basement ceiling)?
3.b. Does it have to be enclosed in a PVC conduit to be inside, or is it safe to staple it to the bare wood floor joists?

I want to make sure I do this safely and right. The last thing I want is for lightning to hit the antenna and start a fire because of improper grounding. Crispy, fire-roasted family is not appealing.

If it helps, our house is in East TN at the top of a hill. There are a LOT of tall trees around, but I'm guessing lightning would be attracted to the antenna moreso than the trees nearby. The outdoor antenna will be mounted to the exterior brick on the side/end of the house and not on the roof. The reception is actually worse on the roof because of the way the signal wraps around the nearby trees. I already tried attic mounting, but the signal loss through the brick into the attic is too great (and again, the attic is in a bad reception area). Weirdly, I get better reception 6 feet lower inside the house than I do inside the attic even though both are behind the same brick wall. The hills and trees do strange things to the TV signals around here.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

1. Important enough that the NEC requires it.

2. a. No, that is not a code requirement.

3. a. That is permitted.

3. b. Not required.

Those answers are based on the NEC which is considered a minimum set of requirements. You're certainly free to exceed them and there will be opinions offered about how others will do so.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote