TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Dec-2016, 7:15 PM   #1
EtobicokeTV

Why can't I pick up Hamiliton

Hi Guys,

this is my first time posting a message.

I have a Focus 8 Bay Antenna with a Channel Master Pre amp. Here is my TV Signal Analysis.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaff228c8c835

I'm having problems with pickup CHCH (11) and CITS (36). I've adjusted one side of the antenna to point to Buffalo. The other bay is pointing to Hamilton (201 degrees). I don't understand why I can't when I pick up almost all the Buffalo Channels and sometimes even the High VHF Buffalo channels. I have no problems receiving Toronto channels from the CN tower. I know I must be doing something wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Frustrated
EtobicokeTV
EtobicokeTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2016, 3:12 AM   #2
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Chch is rf channel 15 so the antenna likely has poor performance on low UHF channels as do most antennas
The only antenna on the market with high gain on low UHF channels is the channel master 8 bay

I have a weak rf channel 16 in my area and the largest yagi on the market couldn't pull it in and the generic 8 bays couldn't either but the channel master got it rock solid
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2016, 2:50 PM   #3
Tower Guy

I think that your problem is antenna aiming and overamplification. You are too close to the CN tower to use a preamp. The second half of your antenna is aimed at Buffalo and not Hamilton.

There is no magic solution to your dilemma. The best option would be multiple antennas each aimed directly and external DTV tuners for the second and possibly third antenna.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2016, 4:41 PM   #4
EtobicokeTV

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

I want to clarify that I have one half of the antenna pointed to about 150 degrees (Buffalo) and the other half pointed to Hamilton at 210 degrees.

Indeed, I have no problem with the reception from the CN Tower even though I'm not pointed directly at the tower. And my Buffalo channels including channel 49 are clear and consistent. In fact, I've even picked up channels 51, 56 and 67 on a clear and bright day which are VHF channels.

Now I had a Clearstream 4 mounted originally and I could pick up Hamilton using the preamp but I couldn't pick up a lot of the Buffalo channels. I suspected it was due to the fact that this antenna only points in one direction. So I decided to "upgrade" to the Focus 8 bay adjustable antenna(s) in hopes of picking up both Buffalo and Hamilton.

On a side note, what is "StarTv" channel 15? I occasionally re scan my channels and find I pick up this "new" channel. What is it?

Again, thanks for your assistance on this challenge.
EtobicokeTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2017, 2:05 PM   #5
mikecandu

Star TV

Have you thought about getting a rotor? I live in Hamilton and have an 8 bay DB8E and I initially thought I could point 1 bay to Toronto and one to Buffalo and I'd be set. Didn't work out like I had planned. Even from Hamilton the Toronto stations are very strong and the Buffalo ones are quite weak. I now have 3 different antenna positions depending on the stations I want.

1) Toronto
2) Grand Island NY (PBS, CW, Bounce)
3) South Buffalo (CBS, NBC, ABC)

You might be able to get away with your focus 8 bay and just rotate it 15 or 20 degrees when you want to watch the Hamilton stations.

Star TV is an Independent station broadcasting from the east end of Toronto. It's in SD and is commercial free. Occasionally it has interesting documentaries on the TTC and other topic of interest to people in the Toronto area.

http://www.srtv.ca/

For more info
Mike

Last edited by mikecandu; 7-Jan-2017 at 6:05 PM. Reason: Adding extra information
mikecandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2017, 5:41 PM   #6
mikecandu

[QUOTE=WIRELESS ENGINEER;56916]

I have a weak rf channel 16 in my area and the largest yagi on the market couldn't pull it in and the generic 8 bays couldn't either but the channel master got it rock solid[/QUOTE

Humm..

I'm also having problems with a weak low UHF station WUTV buffalo (real 14). See thread:

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13957

I'm definitely getting interference from CHCH (real 15) but I was able to pick up WUTV a few times last summer if I aimed my antenna just right with the rotar.

Right now I'm working overseas but when I get back in May I might try the CM4428HD and compare it to the DB8E. I don't have a signal analyser but the HD Homerun device I use does give quite a bit of information on signal strength and quality.

Mike
mikecandu is offline   Reply With Quote