TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > FM Fool Discussion/Database Updates

Notices

Old 1-Apr-2016, 3:25 AM   #1
rockin1jr

Preamp vs Distribution amp for outdoor FM antenna

Hi all,
I have an Antennacraft FM6 that I've been using indoors. Going to move it outside for better reception. I'll have roughly 90 feet of RG6 quad shield.
Should I buy a preamp, or a distribution amp? I will have no splitters or anything else causing loss, other than the 90 feet of cable.
FM Fool signal plot is as follows:
http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
I'm aiming to get the weaker signals, mainly the greys. The Pittsburgh FM's (red area) come in clear enough most days inside.
I only have 92.5 and 106.3 as for local signals for possible overload.
Bottom line: Am I better off with a preamp, vs a distribution amp for my situation?
Looking at the Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier , vs the HDA-100 dist amp.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
rockin1jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2016, 3:36 AM   #2
rockin1jr

A few side notes -
I don't care about overload making me not be able to receive the 2 local stations, but I am worried about bleed-over into nearby Pittsburgh frequencies (ie 92.9 and 105.9)
I already receive a few stations in the grey area, including one 45 miles away not on that list, but very fuzzy. (97.7, Butler PA).
This is why I want to move this outside.
Old 1-Apr-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

1. You cannot link to an FMFool plot, you must attach an image. Hot links were never added to FMFool's functionality.

2. You cannot use the LNA200 for FM because its built-in FM trap will filter it out.

3. At FM frequencies, a good quality RG6 will only lose about 2.0 to 2.25 dB per 100'. You likely will not need any amp, but we do need to see that image of your local FM signal environment to be definite.

Quote:
I don't care about overload making me not be able to receive the 2 local stations, but I am worried about bleed-over into nearby Pittsburgh frequencies (ie 92.9 and 105.9)
You should care about that factor. If you feed the tuner signals that are too strong, it will "desensitize" and you will loose the weakest of your signals anyway, making the whole project an exercise in how not to do things.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
rockin1jr

Image attached.

I was thinking the LNA200 had a switch for the FM trap, must of been another model I looked at.

I ran a test inside with the 92 feet of RG6, and without F connectors, I had present static where the static was barely before, so this was my reasoning for a preamp or dist amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM.jpg (230.0 KB, 1670 views)
Old 1-Apr-2016, 1:26 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

LNA200 has no switch, the trap is always in. The CM777x and the RCA preamps do have a switchable trap. However, like I already said, you likely do not need and should not use a preamp.

Install your F-connectors properly. The test you did is invalid due to improper terminations.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2016, 1:49 PM   #6
rockin1jr

Ok, thanks for the information. I did the test with out F connectors only because I have to run the cable through the floor, but it's possible that I might only need 75 feet.
If I notice more static vs the usual non-present static on my Pittsburgh frequencies after the antenna move, I'll come back to the forum.

Thanks for your help.