TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > FM Fool Discussion/Database Updates

Notices

Old 9-Dec-2012, 5:12 AM   #1
roadking00

Attic or Chimney Mount Options ?

Any recommendations for a good quality FM Antenna based on the attached picture ?
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (112.4 KB, 1817 views)
roadking00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Dec-2012, 6:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Antennacraft Model: FMSS

http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasFM.html
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Dec-2012, 6:18 AM   #3
roadking00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Thanks again, is there any specific direction it would need to be pointed ? And would mounting in an attic work or best would be again outside chimney or mast mount of some sort ?
Old 10-Dec-2012, 7:21 AM   #4
roadking00

Another quick question, is there a HD radio tuner/converter out there that would be able to process any HD radio signals from the OTA antenna and then send them through a regular tuner? Or would I have to basically upgrade to a HD Ready receiver ??
Old 10-Dec-2012, 8:26 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

The FMSS is virtually omnidirectional.

Anyone else want to weigh in on the Hybrid Digital tuner question? I'd rather not say, "No.", when I should really say, "I don't know".
Old 14-Dec-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
roadking00

Got the FMSS installed, seems to be picking up some good signals with it being installed in the attic, I would think it would get better on a mast outside.. Couple other questions though...
1. Is it alright to add another coax converter directly off of the antenna to run an additional line to a different location rather then using a splitter on the one line ?
2.With it being an omnidirectional would it make much of a difference if it was turned 45/90 deg either way , with one arm pointing in a higher signal area ?
3.Is there a inline meter out there that can measure db from signals in range ? And not only with the FM antenna but usable with a UHF/VHF TV signals as well ?
Old 14-Dec-2012, 7:11 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

1.) If "coax converter" means 75Ω/300Ω matching transformer (AKA: balun), I would advise against connecting a second matching transformer to the antenna terminals. To do so would place too low an impedance on the antenna thus changing it's tuning and ability to transfer signal power to the coax. Use a common 2-way splitter.

2.) There may be some subtle directivity, you can try adjusting the aim. Don't expect a great difference though.

3.) There are commercial products... expect to pay $1500 & up for new. I have not done a recent search to be able to offer a specific recommendation.
Old 14-Dec-2012, 7:31 PM   #8
roadking00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
1.) If "coax converter" means 75Ω/300Ω matching transformer (AKA: balun), I would advise against connecting a second matching transformer to the antenna terminals. To do so would place too low an impedance on the antenna thus changing it's tuning and ability to transfer signal power to the coax. Use a common 2-way splitter.

2.) There may be some subtle directivity, you can try adjusting the aim. Don't expect a great difference though.

3.) There are commercial products... expect to pay $1500 & up for new. I have not done a recent search to be able to offer a specific recommendation.
Thanks again GroundURMast,

Yep the balun is what I was trying to spit out, basic splitter it is then..

I give it a shot moving it around here and there and maybe even re-mount outside eventually ?

Looks like I don't need that meter after all I guess when I get to the point on the TV antenna if I try the HDhomerun set up it will show the signal strength and quality of the signal as well...
Old 20-Dec-2012, 3:29 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

The signal quality meter of the HDHR is a great indicator of TV reception reliability. Expect a signal quality indication of 50% to 60% to be on the edge. Signal strength is also reported by the HDHR, but it's not of primary importance if you're judging the antenna aim and performance.