TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-May-2012, 2:44 PM   #1
gossamer

WNYW Reception problems in NYC suburb

Hi guys,

Some time ago, I purchased the Winegard HD7694P antenna, and it's worked quite well. Recently, I've started to have reception problems with WNYW (5.1) and WWOR (9.2) (RF 44) and I'm not sure why.

My antennaweb graph is here:

http://tinyurl.com/d27ejjs

It indicates that WNYW is the same 157 degrees as other stations, but the reception is hardly ever above 50%. The reception for other stations is typically better than 80%.

The antenna is not obstructed by any trees, so I don't know why the signal quality would vary so much?

I've done my best to get it as close to 157 degrees as possible, and I've noticed that a few degrees makes a noticeable difference.

Thanks for any ideas.
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2012, 3:58 PM   #2
signals unlimited

I neeed an TV FOOL report, in order to properly study your reception. The instructions are in the top thread in the help with reception area.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2012, 4:07 PM   #3
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
I neeed an TV FOOL report, in order to properly study your reception. The instructions are in the top thread in the help with reception area.
Awesome, thanks for your help. Here it is:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b1a86fc29cfc1d

Thanks,
Dave
Old 16-May-2012, 4:47 PM   #4
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

Is this the same reception situation as before?? http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1780

Last edited by Electron; 16-May-2012 at 5:38 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2012, 5:30 PM   #5
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Is this the same reception situation as before??
Previously I wasn't sure at all which way to orient the antenna. At one point I found the right arrangement, and had pretty good signal quality across all channels. Now, RF44 is usually very weak or non-existent.

I've been trying to realign the antenna a little bit at a time, in hopes I could find a good tradeoff between the strong channels and this one that is a bit weak, and it hasn't really helped.

I thought someone with some more expertise than myself could help me find the right way to do it in the first place.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 16-May-2012, 5:54 PM   #6
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post

I thought someone with some more expertise than myself could help me find the right way to do it in the first place.

Thanks,
Dave
You have the exact same situation as before. You can expect the recommendations to be exactly the same.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2012, 7:56 PM   #7
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
You have the exact same situation as before. You can expect the recommendations to be exactly the same.
I appreciate that you remember my previous post. Hopefully it wasn't because you thought I was a complete PITA.

I don't understand why the reception for RF7 is 100% and the reception for RF44 is 10%, when both are 156 degrees.

Is it an orientation issue with RF44 that I'm having?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 16-May-2012, 8:48 PM   #8
signals unlimited

If you have the antenna aimed correctly and you have a good 7 and a bad 44, there may be either an interferrence on 44 or a UHF problem. If all of your UHF channels (14-51) are ok Then it must be interferrence. You may be able to tune this out, but it is difficult with a fixed antenna. I would concider installing a rotor, then and only then you can make these adjustments while monitoring. Rotors are unpopular on this site, but not with me. I use them on all of my installations to correct problems like yours and to be able to tune in all of the channels that are in reach. The Aspen Eagel rotor can be installed using your existing coax. I
Old 16-May-2012, 9:35 PM   #9
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
If you have the antenna aimed correctly and you have a good 7 and a bad 44, there may be either an interferrence on 44 or a UHF problem. If all of your UHF channels (14-51) are ok Then it must be interferrence. You may be able to tune this out, but it is difficult with a fixed antenna. I would concider installing a rotor, then and only then you can make these adjustments while monitoring. Rotors are unpopular on this site, but not with me. I use them on all of my installations to correct problems like yours and to be able to tune in all of the channels that are in reach. The Aspen Eagel rotor can be installed using your existing coax. I
I just went back on the roof and rotated it to the southwest direction (probably 190 or 200) instead of the southeast direction (156 to 170), and RF44 and RF7 are now MUCH better.

Any explanation why that would be the case?

There's still a little dropout with RF44 that I might try to adjust, but signal strength for RF33 (WCBS channel 2.1) is about 75%.

All of the channels are all less than 20miles away, so I would think anything in the general direction of the signal would be sufficient. Is it possible either the graph or chart are wrong?

NYC, where these broadcasts are located are certainly southeast, so I don't know...

I hate to say I'm reading the compass backwards, but I suppose that's possible too, even though I matched it up with a printout of the tvfool graph.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 17-May-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
signals unlimited

Can't explain exactly....could be that the signal is a refraction or you are picking it up in the antenna side lope. You may need an off dirrection to play this channel. If that is a problem and you need to constantly fuss with the dirrection, it would be a lot easier from the comfort of your living room via rotor than on the roof manually.
Old 17-May-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
No static at all

You could try raising, then lowering the antenna in 6 inch increments to find the best vertical sweet spot for the problem channels(s). I have seen it make a noticeable difference in many situations.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2012, 1:57 AM   #12
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
You could try raising, then lowering the antenna in 6 inch increments to find the best vertical sweet spot for the problem channels(s). I have seen it make a noticeable difference in many situations.
Interesting. I can believe that. Depends on how the signal bounces of nearby surfaces, etc.

Turns out shifting the antenna to the southwest direction did improve RF44 at the expense of WNBC (RF28), which is in the southeast quadrant on my map.

Wouldn't CBS also broadcast from NYC? I'm in northern NJ, so northeast is upstate NY or CT.

WABC (RF7), is also directly in the southeast direction, and that picture is perfect. Is it just because it's a little bit closer that's the difference?

Obviously I'd like to avoid the rotor, and finding the happy middle place is my best option right now.

Thanks for hanging with me :-)

Dave