TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-May-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
sam

Tried two indoor antennas. Should I give up?

I am on a second floor apartment with trees around and live two miles
from small airport.

I tried the Antennas Direct ClearStream4 and a cheap GE indoor/outdoor antenna. I had it connected to a Tivo Premeire and a Sony NX810 TV.

I was unable to receive any picture from any channel scanned. I used a digital compass to aim the antenna.

Would a Micron XG be worthwile to try or does my signal results indicate that an indoor antenna would not work.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...13491b6c0229a8

Thanks for any advice.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
signals unlimited

Depending on the location of the trees. If they are in line with the channels to your North you may not be able to overcome the signal loss with any indoor antenna.

Let us know three things:

1) What is the direction and height of the trees?
2) Are there any windows or a deck on the North side of your apartment?
3) Do you have any access to the roof?
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2012, 1:26 AM   #3
sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Depending on the location of the trees. If they are in line with the channels to your North you may not be able to overcome the signal loss with any indoor antenna.

Let us know three things:

1) What is the direction and height of the trees?
2) Are there any windows or a deck on the North side of your apartment?
3) Do you have any access to the roof?

First. Thanks for the response.
1) Trees are about 20 feet from window and about 80 feet high. They are From the North to the East.
2) I have a window pointing 3 deg North to 117 deg SE. Deck is on other side with access to 151 deg SE to 324 deg NW.
3) No access to the roof.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2012, 1:32 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

When scanning for channels, did you make certain to switch out of 'cable' mode? You need to be sure that the tuner is set to scan for 'air' or 'antenna' format signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2012, 9:02 AM   #5
signals unlimited

Before giving up on OTA, try moving the Antenna Direct antenna out onto the deck. Aim to 280 degrees magnetic and scan for antenna channels.

Report any channels you receive and we can possibly recommend an antenna that could improve your reception from that location.

Good Luck!
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Electron

ALL Questions and Answers and Information - Broadcast Tv Reception and More

This recommendation is based on the Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital channels of the tvfool radar report.

On the balcony.

Install a Terk HDTVo antenna aimed at about 280 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The best way to get the coax from the antenna to the Tv is the coax goes through a hole through the wall.

Here is another way to do it Holland 144823 flat cable. In the solidsignal search box type in , holland 144823.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

The tuner MUST SCAN for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Looking at the Pending Applications Included Digital Channels you see the groups of Tv stations to the , south/west , west , north/west , north , north/east.
Start with the antenna aimed at about 280 degree magnetic compass. The turn the antenna to about 0 degree magnetic compass. And all so scan for channels with the antenna in between those two directions. The game is to get as many channels as possible and also the channels you will like to watch.

The tuner Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT scan for cable Tv channels.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote