TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Aug-2016, 12:40 AM   #1
tinkerer

New to OTA

I am going to cut the cord and go OTA. I am looking for any help or recommendations.
My TV Fool report is located here http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb1cae9a850b
I would like to get WMUR (real 9), WBZ (real 30), WFXT (real 31), WHDH (real 42), WLVI (real 41) and WBPX (real 32).
I have a HDB8X-NI antenna for the UHF channels and there is an old VHF/UHF antenna in the Attic pointed at 293 mag. I plan on mounting the UHF antenna on the roof where I located it in the TV Fool report pointed at 205 mag.
I don't have any amps or splitters yet. I want to drive two TVs and a DVR. The UHF antenna is about 45 feet from the attic antenna. From there to the TVs and DVR will take about another 50 feet of cable.
I have lots of trees that I can't get over. The spot I picked for the UHF antenna has the clearest shot, just east of a giant oak, open out about 150'.
Thanks for the Help.
tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2016, 2:08 PM   #2
rickbb

I doubt you need a pre-amp, maybe a low power distribution amp/splitter to drive the 3 receivers since you will be close to 100' of cable.

Use the existing VHF/UHF combo for your VHF stations it's aimed correctly for them now. Combine it with the UHF with a USVJ to a single feed cable to your grounding block and then the splitter/distribution amp/splitter.

You will need to use the trial and error method to locate your antenna to get the best path through the trees. Moving it left/right and up/down as little as 3 feet sometimes can make all the difference in getting a usable signal through all the multipath from the trees.

If they are all hardwood at least winter will let through better signals when the leaves fall.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2016, 2:48 PM   #3
wizwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerer View Post
I am going to cut the cord and go OTA. I am looking for any help or recommendations.
My TV Fool report is located here http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb1cae9a850b
We are neighbors. I live in Danville.

Quote:
I would like to get WMUR (real 9), WBZ (real 30), WFXT (real 31), WHDH (real 42), WLVI (real 41) and WBPX (real 32).
I have a HDB8X-NI antenna for the UHF channels and there is an old VHF/UHF antenna in the Attic pointed at 293 mag. I plan on mounting the UHF antenna on the roof where I located it in the TV Fool report pointed at 205 mag.
You can see the list of channels I receive here...
https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/my-network/#lineup

I receive all the channels you are trying to tune. I think you could receive WMTW in Portland, too. That is an ABC affiliate that carries a Heroes and Icons sub.

My antennas are in the attic. If you are going to put the UHF antenna on the roof, why not put the vhf antenna on the same mast? The HDB8X-NI is probably a good choice for UHF (I use a DB8e). You will be able to receive WMUR and WENH on just about any VHF antenna pointed in the general direction of either. (I can get WMUR and WENH or WENH and WMTW but not all three without moving my VHF antenna.)

Quote:
I don't have any amps or splitters yet. I want to drive two TVs and a DVR. The UHF antenna is about 45 feet from the attic antenna. From there to the TVs and DVR will take about another 50 feet of cable.
I use an RCA TVPRAMP1R pre-amp to join VHF and UHF antennas. Then I amplify and distribute using a EDA-2800.

Quote:
I have lots of trees that I can't get over. The spot I picked for the UHF antenna has the clearest shot, just east of a giant oak, open out about 150'.
Thanks for the Help.
I shoot through red pines -- ever green and ever swaying. You should be fine.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2016, 1:20 AM   #4
tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
You will need to use the trial and error method to locate your antenna to get the best path through the trees. Moving it left/right and up/down as little as 3 feet sometimes can make all the difference in getting a usable signal through all the multipath from the trees.
I am waiting for my tripod and mast to come in and I will move the antenna around to see what works best. Don't mind playing around with the location.

Thought I would see what I get before I add any preamp/amp.

Thanks
Old 1-Sep-2016, 1:33 AM   #5
tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
We are neighbors. I live in Danville.
We are not that far apart.

Quote:
You can see the list of channels I receive here...
https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/my-network/#lineup

I receive all the channels you are trying to tune. I think you could receive WMTW in Portland, too. That is an ABC affiliate that carries a Heroes and Icons sub.
That is great! Way better than I expected. Hopefully I can do as well.

Quote:
My antennas are in the attic. If you are going to put the UHF antenna on the roof, why not put the vhf antenna on the same mast? The HDB8X-NI is probably a good choice for UHF (I use a DB8e). You will be able to receive WMUR and WENH on just about any VHF antenna pointed in the general direction of either. (I can get WMUR and WENH or WENH and WMTW but not all three without moving my VHF antenna.)
My old VHF was in the attic when I bought the house. It is a little beat up (some elements bent or broken). Thought I would try it and see what I get. WMUR is pretty strong on my report.

If that doesn't work I will add a VHF antenna to the outside mast.

Looked like the Portland stations were to far off from WMUR to even attempt. Might try it after I have everything settled down.

Need to keep the wife happy!
Old 1-Sep-2016, 6:17 AM   #6
wizwor

I have more good news for you. The main reason for my interest in WMTW is its Heroes and Icons sub. H&I is coming to WSBK (http://www.heroesandiconstv.com/wheretowatch/#MA) which is UHF and you will receive without issues. If you decide to get a new VHF antenna, I recommend this inexpensive antenna...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476

Good luck!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote