TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Aug-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
olnick

Red face Back to OTA signals

Its been a number of years since doing any antenna setups. I got rid of money bags AKA directTV and want to be self reliant! My problem is there are a bunch of stations in the Boston area that I should be able to receive. Living in Milford NH I also like the local news from Manchester NH. I don't want to use a rotor, my thoughts are to use two antennas pointing one in each of the desired directions. I plan to use an RCA ANT3036X to pick up the Boston stations. How good would this antenna be picking up from the side? Antenna #2 I'm open to suggestions. What would be the best way to combine the signals? I do have a sladco min/max signal strength meter to check the signals from the different stations. What should I look for strength min to max to have a balanced system?
Ill be installing the ANT3036X at the top of the 10 foot mast mounted to my chimney, What is the recommended spacing for additional antennas on the same mast? Signal results are at below link
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae263716079c
olnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'm a bit confused... You say you are in Milford, NH. Your TV Fool report is for a location between Concorde, MA & Acton, MA.

Combining signals from two antennas that operate in the same band(s) (UHF, High-VHF or Low VHF) is not really an exercise in level matching or balancing. You would need an effective filter that allows desirable primary path signals from each antenna, while also blocking reflected path signals from entering the combiner. Without filtering, two high performance antennas combined will interfere with each other, leaving with less reliable reception.

Channel Master used to offer such a product, the 'Jointenna' which was a filter network. It had an input for an 'all channel antenna' and another input port for a single channel antenna. It would pass all but the one channel through the main antenna port and pass only the lone channel through the single channel antenna port. A third port on the Jointenna was the combined output. These were consumer grade devises and the filters had rather wide 'skirts', so you would see one or more channels on either side of the single channel blocked or reduced.

tinlee.com produces a variety of filters, including products similar to the Jointenna. They sell to the public but their prices reflect the higher quality and custom choices that they offer.

Here are a couple of other possible solutions to consider:
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Re. teh RCA ANT-3036

RCA does not offer polar plots or even gain data for their antennas. All I can offer is that other antenna similar to the 3036 tend to be directional, particularly in the UHF band. Don't expect good reception from the sides.

Old 21-Aug-2013, 2:46 PM   #4
olnick

incorrect location????

I just double checked my GPS coordinates! They are the same that I came up with the first time!!! However the stations are now different???
new signal map
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2db2fa54ef

Thanks for picking up on that!
Old 21-Aug-2013, 6:56 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Let's be sure...

It sounds like you and I are both scratching our heads still.

Just to confirm,

Are you located in Massachusetts? Or are you in New Hampshire? The LAT/LON coordinates shown on both TVFR reports are for a location near an address in Concord, MA 01742 according to Google Maps.

When generating a TV Fool report, my preferred method is to open the Interactive TV Maps tool. I leave the 'input method' set to the default, 'address'. Then I enter only the ZIP Code, and then click the 'Map This' button.

At this point I have a map displayed, with a movable cursor located at the center of the ZIP Code I entered. I then use my mouse to drag the cursor to the exact location I'm interested in. In the upper right corner of the map I can select from four view types, I find it helpful to have all four available... The Hybrid and Terrain modes seem to be what I use the most.

At the bottom of the map, I enter the antenna height, and can find the LAT/LON coordinates of the cursor (in decimal form, not deg/min/sec).

Once I have the cursor location and the antenna height set correctly, I click on the 'Make Radar Plot' button located at the upper right corner of the map. The TV Fool report opens in a new tab or window. I can then copy the URL from the address bar of my browser, for posting to a thread.

I hope this helps, I just want to be sure we give you advise based on the actual conditions at your location.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Aug-2013 at 7:06 PM. Reason: Google Maps
Old 21-Aug-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olnick View Post
Living in Milford NH I also like the local news from Manchester NH.
Without an accurate plot, I'd suggest a 91XG aimed at Boston and a Y5-7-13 aimed at WMUR. Couple the antennas together with a Winegard AP-8700 preamp.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
olnick

new location with DECIMAL coordinates

Talk about being confused!! Thanks for the clarification on the decimal VS. deg/mis sec locations. Your instructions were great.
Yes I live in Milford NH!

new DIGITAL coordinates!!!
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aede6b80ecbd

I hope this clears things up...
Old 21-Aug-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
olnick

How do I use the AP-8700 to couple the antennas together? there is only one input on the amp. will a standard splitter/coupler do the job?

Thanks
Old 22-Aug-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

Thanks for re-checking the coordinates of your TVFR. The latest TVFR link makes more sense.

I agree with Tower Guy, the 91XG is a better choice aiming at Boston.

Now that we can see what you're facing, I think I would step up from the Y5713 to the Y10713.

The RCA TVPRAMP1R and Antennacraft 10G221 both have inputs for separate UHF and VHF antennas.

Old 22-Aug-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
olnick

Thanks for all of your help and input form everyone! I'll repost after I get this all installed!

Thanks again!!
Old 22-Aug-2013, 1:16 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Oh, I meant to ask earlier... If you mount at 35' as shown on your TVFR, will the antennas be above nearby trees & buildings? Avoiding obstructions may be as important as all other factors.

Old 22-Aug-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
olnick

At 35 feet I have pretty clean shot at Boston, however a conservatory across the street about 75 feet from the antenna has trees 80-90 feet tall. I guess I need to hope for the best on this one.
Old 22-Aug-2013, 4:35 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

All things considered, that sounds good.

Old 4-Sep-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
olnick

Finally got the antenna up! couldn't get any ground wire over the long week end and had a ton of bad weather predicted.... So I waited until I had my groung wire!
Not too sure on the reception?? I went with the 91XG antenna feed into an RCA TVPRAMP1R combiner/preamp. I did NOT install the additional antenna. I tried to use my Sladco min/max signal strength meter to NO avail. The lowest signal it can detect is -20db. at any antenna position the best I could do was to have 2 different chanels # 9 and 34. I did better when letting the TV tuner do a search! Did I miss something?? I thought that I would have been able to pickup a"few" more stations than what I have. Ido get 5-7 stations. I have all the stations listed in an excell spread sheet. how do I attach a file for viewing??
Thanks

Nick
Old 5-Sep-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

You'll be missing the signals from real CH9 & 11 if you don't install a High-VHF antenna.

If the meter is an older analog design, it may not be able to lock on to the ATSC format signal which appears as noise to an analog receiver.
Quote:
how do I attach a file for viewing??
Click the "Go Advanced" button below the basic 'Quick Reply' text box. Then scroll down to the 'Additional Options' choices.

Old 5-Sep-2013, 1:20 PM   #16
olnick

antenna direction with received chanels

That was one of my questions?? It doesn't matter what direction the antenna points I get both ch 9 and 11.
(See attached excell spreadsheet)??
Old 5-Sep-2013, 9:33 PM   #17
olnick

here is the list of chanels.
Attached Files
File Type: xls antenna direction with received chanels xl.xls (18.0 KB, 653 views)