TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Sep-2016, 5:48 PM   #1
BJE80

Another recommend a TV antenna

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb3904a0613b

Antenna will be on a ranch style home (1 story) with an eve mount. So I guess about 20' in the air.

Thinking about the Denny's TV HD Stacker. I would rather buy too big of an antenna than not enough so I do don't miss stuff during rain. I would like PBS but the 4 main channels are the must for football games.

Must have:
NBC
FOX
ABC
CBS

Nice to have but not required:

PBS.

Thank you.

Last edited by BJE80; 22-Sep-2016 at 6:12 PM.
BJE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2016, 8:35 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
People have mixed results with the Stacker. For less money, I would use a Stellar Labs HDX-91 (30-2370) plus a Stellar Labs 30-2476 deep fringe VHF yagi, combined with a UVSJ antenna combiner. You could also add a preamp if you have long cable runs, or want to add additional TV sets. You should see all the Green Bay stations without a hitch. Check out MCM electronics: they have everything that you'll need.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Sep-2016, 4:57 AM   #3
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
People have mixed results with the Stacker. For less money, I would use a Stellar Labs HDX-91 (30-2370) plus a Stellar Labs 30-2476 deep fringe VHF yagi, combined with a UVSJ antenna combiner. You could also add a preamp if you have long cable runs, or want to add additional TV sets. You should see all the Green Bay stations without a hitch. Check out MCM electronics: they have everything that you'll need.
If you do decide to go with the two antenna suggestion, I would combine them with the RCA PREAMP1R amp, it has an input for VHF and for UHF separately. It's fairly low in noise and will boost your signal substantially.

I use the two antenna solution with the Stellar Labs 30-2476 and a Solid Signal HDB91X and combine them with the RCA preamp, works great and for very little money. Total less than $100. The HDB91X is on sale right now for 39.99:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB91X

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=TVPRAMP1R

I got mine at Amazon, only $21 and free shipping too:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=RCA+Preamp1r

2016-06-05 Both Arrays (16)resize.jpg

Last edited by bobsgarage; 28-Sep-2016 at 2:34 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
BJE80

Thanks I'll look into those. Another one I was looking at and was considering was the Winegard HD 7698P. Any thoughts on that antenna? Is it cost the main reason you are selecting the one above?

I think I will definitely run a pre-amp either way. We will be having multiple TV's. We are building the house so not sure how long the coax run will be but it will be long enough I think. Thank you.
Old 26-Sep-2016, 1:59 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Is it cost the main reason you are selecting the one above?
That is most likely their reason. If you want an all-in-one combo antenna, the HD7698P would be suitable with a CM7777 preamp.

Your antenna must be mounted in a location that does not have trees in the signal path.

Quote:
We are building the house so not sure how long the coax run will be but it will be long enough I think.
The preamp should be mounted near the antenna, and the power inserter should be inside. If the coax run from the preamp to the power inserter is less than 100 feet, RG6 coax with a copper clad steel center conductor will be OK. For longer runs, use RG6 with a solid copper center conductor, because it has less voltage drop for the DC needed to run the preamp.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Last edited by rabbit73; 26-Sep-2016 at 3:10 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2016, 8:04 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
The Winegard HD7698 is a very good antenna, but the Stellar Labs combo will be just as good for somewhat less money.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2016, 5:51 PM   #7
BJE80

Thanks everyone!