TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jul-2014, 1:59 PM   #1
Crawfishboy2000

DB-8 isn't cutting it for my situation

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c60dc6979117

I bought a DB-8 a while ago, and it received all the stations that I required (Green in the report). CBS was probably the weakest, dropping out periodically.
Now I get virtually no signal for CBS, ABC is really hit or miss and PBS beaks up a bit.
The antenna has been moved and adjusted to no avail. I tried out a CM 7777 with no increased signal over the Archer product that I have now.
I recognize now that the DB-8 is not ideal for H-VHF stations, the ones that are causing me so much trouble. Perhaps I need another antenna. I just don't want to buy a huge antenna when a somewhat smaller version would do.
I am also puzzelled with to gradual loss of signals from CBS and now ABC and PBS (to a lesser degree).
Crawfishboy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jul-2014, 3:16 PM   #2
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfishboy2000 View Post
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c60dc6979117

I bought a DB-8 a while ago, and it received all the stations that I required (Green in the report). CBS was probably the weakest, dropping out periodically.
Now I get virtually no signal for CBS, ABC is really hit or miss and PBS beaks up a bit.
The antenna has been moved and adjusted to no avail. I tried out a CM 7777 with no increased signal over the Archer product that I have now.
I recognize now that the DB-8 is not ideal for H-VHF stations, the ones that are causing me so much trouble. Perhaps I need another antenna. I just don't want to buy a huge antenna when a somewhat smaller version would do.
I am also puzzelled with to gradual loss of signals from CBS and now ABC and PBS (to a lesser degree).
You may be in a multipath prone area. A Yagi such as the HBU 33 might be a better antenna for your situation. Without a rotor you can get every signal in Green and Yellow with this antenna. No need for a preamp.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jul-2014, 4:40 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The DB8 is not well suited for the three stations you're having problems with, but with noise margins that high, I'd expect it to work anyway. Your problem might be water infiltration somewhere or local electrical electronic interference which would be aggravated by using an amp.

Check your coax connections first for evidence of corrosion.

You can try adding the VHF-1 VHF kit (you will have to mast-mount it) or adding a ClearStream 5 for your VHF channels.

There should be no need for a pre-amp with signals that strong. Adding one is just an invitation to other problems.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 6-Jul-2014 at 5:22 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2014, 9:57 PM   #4
Crawfishboy2000

Thank You

Given that I wasn't getting signals with a medium-end antenna, I was afraid that I was going to have to purchase a much more expensive rig. This $83 model seems quite reasonable. Thank you
Crawfishboy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote