TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 16-Mar-2017, 1:02 AM   #1
nickgalliart

Antenna grounding

Hello,
I am helping my in-laws install an antenna and I have a question about grounding the mast of the antenna. The antenna is mounted on a 1.5" pipe buried 4 feet in the ground. I purchased a coax grounding block for the cable. Do I need to ground the antenna mast itself? If i do need to ground the antenna, what are your recommendations?

Thanks

-Nick
nickgalliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2017, 4:31 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Yes, I would recommend that you ground both the mast and the coax shield...

Have a look at this thread... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901 Particularly post #20

If you need more specific info, feel free to ask detailed questions.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2017, 7:05 PM   #3
nickgalliart

Thanks for the reply!

The pole for the antenna is in the ground about 20 feet away from the house's electrical service ground. If I use a grounding device like what is in your profile picture, should I just run a separate AWG wire to the house's electrical service ground?
nickgalliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2017, 7:38 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If you want an answer that is in in accordance with the NEC, the only kind that Tom or I or or anyone else who is informed will give, here it is: "The mast's embedment in the ground does not meet the requirements of the NEC for grounding purposes."

Now, should you properly bond the mast and the coaxial cable's shield to your structure's ground electrode system, then your installation does meet the criteria set out in the national code.

You'd do best to call a local building inspector (if any), a local electrician, or bone up on the NEC as a study of interest.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2017, 8:36 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgalliart View Post
Thanks for the reply!

The pole for the antenna is in the ground about 20 feet away from the house's electrical service ground. If I use a grounding device like what is in your profile picture, should I just run a separate AWG wire to the house's electrical service ground?
That's what I have done with my masts; A dedicated bonding connection from the mast to the existing electrical service grounding system using #10 AWG. I treat the coax shield bonding as a separate, but equally important connection.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote