TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 22-Oct-2014, 8:11 PM   #1
mulliganman

low noise amps

I was wondering what was considered to be the best low noise preamplifiers and distribution amps (that also provide good gain) that are readily available especially at mass market retailers like amazon, newegg, etc. Thanks in advance.
mulliganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2014, 2:46 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

"Best" is a poor way to choose to describe amplifiers since the "best" amp is the one that is most appropriate for a given situation and solves the specific issue for which an amp is needed.

For situation "A", the most appropriate amp might be Amplifier "C".
For situation "B", the most appropriate amp might be Amplifier "A".
For situation "C", the most appropriate amp might be Amplifier "A".
For situation "D", the most appropriate amp might be "None of the Above"

In other words, there isn't a "Best" amp that fits all cases.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2014, 3:07 PM   #3
mulliganman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
"Best" is a poor way to choose to describe amplifiers since the "best" amp is the one that is most appropriate for a given situation and solves the specific issue for which an amp is needed.

For situation "A", the most appropriate amp might be Amplifier "C".
For situation "B", the most appropriate amp might be Amplifier "A".
For situation "C", the most appropriate amp might be Amplifier "A".
For situation "D", the most appropriate amp might be "None of the Above"

In other words, there isn't a "Best" amp that fits all cases.
O.K., fair enough. Ignoring the word "best" what are some of the more highly regarded very low noise preamplifiers and distribution amps (that also provide a nice "boost" )?

Last edited by mulliganman; 23-Oct-2014 at 3:10 PM.
mulliganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2014, 4:00 PM   #4
timgr

So what's to consider besides bandwidth, noise figure and dynamic range? I'd think you could get a start on your "best" metric by simply comparing specs. Here is a primer on rf signal amplifier specs http://urgentcomm.com/techspeak/radio_key_rf_signal - I'd think it would be possible to buy packaged rf amps and filters made for prototyping and build your own amp with superior specs, depending on how much time and money you were willing to spend. Mini-Circuits is a popular supplier of such parts: http://www.minicircuits.com/homepage/homepage.html
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2015, 4:25 PM   #5
Jason l

Winegard boost Xt not

so just a little experience I tried the so called low noise boost Xt. I did not notice a difference in signal on my diy db8. In my fringe area I only get high gain amps to make a difference. And at this date in time I don't recommen much hope for a high gain products I am using a winegard 8275 unfortunately not produced any more. But for me. It beets channel master Titan 7777. And boost Xt I just orderd the high gain antenna craft. And it gets twice the signal as the new channel master Titan 7777 And much cheaper to boot. But still not as good as old winegard. I have contacted winegard about this exact subject and was told they are looking into a higher gain amp.
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2015, 6:48 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

A higher gain amp, unless you have an excess of downstream insertion loss for a lower gain amp, is a fool's game. Used indiscriminately, they tend to break more things than they fix. Just ask Channelmaster, if you don't believe me.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 27-Mar-2015 at 8:10 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
Jason l

Lol you are a funny one...... Well I'm guilty then call me a fool all you want. But if it works don't knock it cause ur not the one watching my tv. And if it works for me it just might work for you. I use what works for me. Not what Chanel master thinks will work for me. There new high gain amp drowns in the water compared to the winegard 8275 and antenna craft high gain amp In my experience.i have a new channel master titan7777. It didn't break any thing. But I do think it was the only amp out of the 4 different HIGH GAIN amps I purchased that had loose components clicking around inside. This could be why this amp only works half way good half of the time. I would just ask you what good high gain amp would you recommend regardless of who's playing a fools game Dtech
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
Nascarken
Banned

Good point lol
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote