TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
WantToGetFreeTV

Help with reception williamsburg va only barely get one channel 15

Hi

Am new to the area, have very basic RCA antenna ant 108 model, and apex digital tv converter dt502. Use these with a sharp tv. Am not getting any channels at all in my apartment, I am attaching the signal analysis, I tried aligning antenna as per the chart, get sometimes 5/6 channels 15.1, 15.2, 15.3, 3, 33.1, 33.2 but when displaying these channels except for 15.1 it mostly says weak or no signal.

Can you please suggest type of antenna that I could get? Rooftop / outdoor antenna not possible, cause this is an apartment complex. Appreciate your help. Also I would like to know an expert opinion on which channels I may get with indoor antenna..

Here's the signalanalysis web page address
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...27ee0b5dd11ae6

Any help is welcome, thanks in advance.

---
WantToGetFreeTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2010, 9:23 PM   #2
mtownsend

I'm afraid that most of your channels are too weak to be received reliably with your average indoor "set-top" antenna. You will need a high gain (usually larger) antenna, and preferably in the attic or on the roof.

FYI, the FCC has an over the air reception devices rule (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html), which basically says that everyone has the right to install a reasonable OTA antenna to watch TV. Since it is a federal law, means that no landlord, HOA, city, county, or state can stop you from exercising this right (although there are some exceptions, so please read carefully). There's no need to create unnecessary friction between you and your landlord, but perhaps just knowing that the law is on your side in this case is enough to work out a sensible compromise that everyone can live with.

If you are willing to consider at least an attic antenna or better, then we can help you. I just don't see an indoor antenna cutting it in this case.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
WantToGetFreeTV

Thanks for your reply. That's really sad, that no antenna will work. Well, I have a balcony and I am located on 2nd floor already. Do you think putting antenna on the balcony floor will help? I am glad to know the law is on my side, yet I don't see myself going on roof and putting an antenna up.. So nothing in terms of an indoor / balcony antenna.. what if I get some amplified antenna.. which I hope someone from the forum will guide me ..

Do let me know. Thanks again.
Old 17-Feb-2010, 3:03 AM   #4
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGetFreeTV View Post
Do you think putting antenna on the balcony floor will help?
Yes, a balcony antenna will work (get channels down to about the yellow zone on your list) if your balcony is facing south-east.

A very "low impact" way to install the antenna is to use a 5-gallon bucket, some concrete, and a short mast to hold the antenna. All you need to figure out is how to run the cable inside without crushing it or putting any sharp bends in it.

If you are lucky enough to have a balcony facing the right direction and have enough room to accommodate an antenna, then an something like the Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P would work well.

If you are on the wrong side of the building, it will be pretty hard to get enough signal through that many walls.
Old 17-Feb-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
WantToGetFreeTV

well, my balcony faces North West. :|
Yet, if you think its worth a try, I could try it and if the antenna does not work for me, I will return it. Do let me know. Again thanks for the help, appreciate it soooo much.
Old 18-Feb-2010, 7:05 PM   #6
mtownsend

Personally, I like to try things and hope for the best rather than declare failure without even trying. I encourage others to do the same.

Yes, you just might get lucky (I've seen it happen before) and get the signals just fine. It's hard to tell what's in the walls, buildings, and environment between you and the transmitters, so it's hard to say just how easy or difficult it will be to get signals until you actually try it.
Old 19-Feb-2010, 1:11 AM   #7
WantToGetFreeTV

ok, thanks for the reply, I will try it out and keep you posted.
Old 4-Mar-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
WantToGetFreeTV

Hi

I got DB4 antenna, and tested it currently indoors and I get CBS, PBS, FOX, MYN, NBC. I don't get ION (v weak signal), ABC, and CW (weak). But that's fine, and much better than getting nothing. I didn't get wineguard or the other antenna suggested by you, cause they were big to put in my balcony. However, I looked for outdoor antennas, and DB4 seemed not so big, hence I got that. So thanks for all the help, appreciate it, and am glad that I am not forced to get cable, and plus this way it is affordable for me.
Old 4-Mar-2010, 7:29 AM   #9
mtownsend

The reason the suggested antennas were big was because they include real VHF performance. The DB4 is a UHF-only antenna, hence you don't get WHRE (ch 7) and WVEC (ch 13). Any antenna that has respectable VHF performance is gonna be bigger.

In order to get those VHF stations, you'll probably need one of those combo antennas or a separate VHF antenna to add to your DB4. I guess it all depends on how important ABC is to you.
Old 4-Mar-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
WantToGetFreeTV

oh, I didn't really know that db4 was just UHF. I should have asked first, but now that I see these other channels, I am ok with it. I just shopped for outdoor antennas and took what seemed workable in my balcony without causing any trouble from the apt complex people, around me nobody has antenna everyone pretty much gets the cable or satellite tv I suppose. Anyway, so you say that for ABC I could use a combination antenna, what kind, and how will it connect to my TV, I mean the antenna in port on the converter box is already used up. And how big that other antenna has to be? I will consider the option if it is doable, and affordable.. Do let me know. Thanks again for your help.
Old 4-Mar-2010, 4:18 PM   #11
Dave Loudin

If you don't mind trying a simple do-it-yourself project, check out the bow-tie antenna array projects documented here. These are optimized versions of the design popularized on youtube. The advantage for you is that this design would have some gain for the ABC and CW channels and it would cost you little but time.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2010, 5:07 PM   #12
mtownsend

The Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P are about as small as they come for combo antennas that work well.

If you want to keep your DB4 but add a VHF antenna to it, you can use an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 or a Winegard YA-6713. These can be merged with your DB4 signal through a UVSJ (a special kind of combiner for separate UHF/VHF inputs). This will put both signals on one feed that you can plug into your TV.