TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Nov-2010, 2:57 PM   #1
socrates

Roof antenna 1 channel

Hi i live out in the middle of nowhere, i am about 20 KM from the town of bancroft ontario and about 5 years ago when we moved here from the city we had to use the roof antenna that came with the house for about 2 to 3 days, we had no idea how to make it work cause there was no controller box or anything, just 2 wires coming in, one of which was for the signal and the other im guessing to power and move the antenna, anyways long story short, we no longer have satellite for tv and wanted to try and get this thing working or find out what our other options are for free tv that isnt illegal, i entered my info into the page before coming here and it appears i can only find a few channels but can only get 1 in right now, my buddy climbed the tower and manually turned the antenna so we get channel 2 in on the tv but its pretty fuzzy, heres the link http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3f9b8cfcaa6

After many days of research and many home made antennas out of speaker wire and coat hangers we have come to the conclusion that we need a booster, now i wanted to know with a booster will that make the picture of the 1 channel we get better? or will the booster give us more channels? as i can see in the link of channels i should be able to get i can see where only a few db's from zero and with a booster of 12db gain wouldn't that mean it would make some of the channels that are in that number range be able to show up in my list of channels i can receive now?
Also i have heard a lot about free to air through a sat dish and fta receiver? can you give me more info on what shows can i expect to get? is there network shows? would i be able to get my local channels and such? can i use my old bell expressvu dish and just buy a cheap fta receiver? do i need to pay anything as in subscriptions? thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post
socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2010, 5:15 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

F.T.A. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265 . No you will not get local tv channels. No you will not get premium movies for free 24/7-365 however premium movie services do transmit in the clear from time to time. There is no subscription for FTA cost because it is free satellite tv. Here is the way to understand F.T.A. . --> FTA is FTA <-- What is on FTA is what is on FTA. No you will not be watching the bell express view channels for free. . Here is the way to understand FTA ----> What is on FTA is what is on FTA. ----> Free is Free. . . Yes if you do some digging you might find someone that will sell you a scam box. The thing to remember about scams is , scams can go more then one way. I wonder what cost more , getting a scam box updated from time to time or just paying for a pay service.

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Nov-2010 at 7:46 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2010, 6:17 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

So what work is at Bancroft and the surrounding area , oil and gas ? What do you do ? How many tv's will be connected ?
Old 29-Nov-2010, 7:33 PM   #4
socrates

uhhhh oook im guess free to air tv is free? lol

Anyways ya we want to hook up 4 tv's, we wanted to see if what we have is the best its going to get or would a newer compact antenna like on ebay that claims to reach 200km's might work and get us more channels?
Old 29-Nov-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
John Candle

Tv Reception

The Radar Plot and the >>StartMAPS<< parts of tvfool are showing (discrepancies) transmitters in different places. And different NM dB signal strengths. I am asking Mtownsend / moderator to help out here. Here is more reading http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum , http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/105462 , http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm . The current tv transmitters are listed as Analog Tv Transmitters , I do not know When or If the transmitters at your location will change to Digital and what channels the Digital transmissions will be on.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Dec-2010 at 7:16 PM.
Old 30-Nov-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Reception

Like other people I can give half ass answers. I choose not to do that. As a way to cover all the bases I suggest a Winegard HD7082P All Channel antenna with a Winegard AP8275 preamp and a ChannelMaster CM9521A rotator. The HD7082P is the strongest consumer grade all channel antenna to hold up to the rough winters at your location. . Commercial grade antennas are available , the price is high . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=491 . Blondertongue , BTY-LP-BB , BTY-UHF-BB , BTY-UVMK , assemble these into one antenna.

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Nov-2010 at 7:46 AM.
Old 30-Nov-2010, 2:10 AM   #7
Dave Loudin

I strongly suggest that you consult the OTA forum at digitalhome.ca. They are well versed in using TVFool reports, plus they are up to date with the upcoming transition to digital television in Canada.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2010, 4:00 AM   #8
socrates

Oh ok now i think i understand, i remember hearing something about the states having already turned over to digital and something about Canada switching in 2011 soooo maybe that will help me
The antenna i have now is one of those big old ones and im guessing it doesn't get UHF, the wine guard you speak of it does all? including high def channels? and will get more channels then the big piece of shit thats sitting on my roof as we speak?
Old 30-Nov-2010, 7:59 AM   #9
John Candle

Tv Reception

Your receivable channels are to the East and [South ??] If it is 4 tv's to connect , then a rotator may not be the best because every one might not agree as to which transmitters to point the antenna at , if CHEX Tv channel 4 is to the South as shown with the Radar Plot. If CHEX is to the East as shown at -->Start MAPS<--.. Then one antenna with no rotator will be Ok.
Old 30-Nov-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Oh ok now i think i understand, i remember hearing something about the states having already turned over to digital and something about Canada switching in 2011 soooo maybe that will help me
Not every analog station in Canada will be replaced by a digital one. Before you make any investments in equipment, you need to be aware of what your locality will be left with. That's why I'm urging you to consult with the other forum. They are the source for OTA in Canada.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2010, 2:30 PM   #11
socrates

Thanks man, i just copied and pasted my original post to that website and am waiting for them to post it and see what happens, thanks for all the info and help guys
Old 1-Dec-2010, 9:44 AM   #12
John Candle

Tv Reception

Here is a distributor of Winegard antennas in Ontario Canada. http://www.trentondistributors.com . Many times here in the USA I buy direct from distributors and wholesalers. It's what is known as Counter Sales. I go in to place of business walk up to the counter and buy. The business has a way of selling direct to the general public.
Old 4-Dec-2010, 1:41 PM   #13
socrates

See i would like to buy a newer antenna but before i spend the money i want to make sure im going to get more then 3 channels, with this wine guard antenna would i get any of the high def channels from where i am? would i get more then channel 2 and 19?
Old 5-Dec-2010, 8:26 AM   #14
John Candle

Tv Reception

you will receive 2 , 4 , 42 , and posibliy 33. I gave you all the information to find out when or if the transmitters will be going to digital.

Last edited by mtownsend; 6-Dec-2010 at 4:27 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary rude phrasing