Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Dec-2013, 7:31 PM   #1
44Dave
Wants TV

Help with antenna selection in attic

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an attic based solution for me:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae10282f80d1

I've got rabbit ears right now, but can only get channel 29/PBS. I'd be happy to only get the green channels, so that sounds like it should be doable? What can I get that will get VHF & UHF?
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2013, 9:40 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

If we were neighbors you'd see an Channel Master CM-3016 above my roof, pointed toward 255° magnetic.

For an in attic install, try the largest all-channel antenna that will fit. If your attic is not too awful an antenna site, as some are, you may do well.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Dec-2013, 1:43 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-------
For reception of the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels in the Green reception zone.

Install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM5018 antenna in the Attic aimed at about 245 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas, www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

------

No antenna system amplifier is required for 1 or 2 Tv's connected.

-------

If Non Reliable Reception Situations Happen that are Not Resolvable with Antenna Aim and Location Adjustments in the Attic.

Move the CM5018 antenna to above the Peak of the Roof of such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , West South West and East.

------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

Buy the HFS-2D splitter at , www.solidsignal.com , or , www.hollandelectronics.com .

-------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

-------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels often named the ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for channels.

-------
Attics and insides of buildings Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

-------
As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflections Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own attic roof and building.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Jan-2014 at 6:55 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 9-Dec-2013, 5:05 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
------
I see that since your previous post , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=6798 .

KSNB Tv is now transmitting.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSNB-TV

KSNB transmitting on VHF low band channel 4 is now transmitting.

--------

As to the VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

Tv Independent station owners and Multi station owner operators , through out USA , have licenses and construction permits for the Tv low band channels 2 thru 6 and are using them.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Jan-2014 at 6:54 AM. Reason: repaired link to old thread
Old 9-Dec-2013, 7:07 PM   #5
44Dave
Wants TV

Well, this isn't really what I wanted to hear. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get away from the larger yagi antennas and it looks like that is the case. I really wanted to use one of the small square things or whatever but those just don't seem like they will work. I can't fit the yagi in my attic, and I can't get on the roof with all the nice fresh snow and ice. I guess that's what I get for living out here. Looks like I'll have to suffer with few channels until the snow melts off.
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Dec-2013, 8:08 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Sadly, the little square antennas are generally optimized for UHF reception, and modest performance at best. A few may provide a bit of H-VHF capability but you can't expect much from them. To receive Low-VHF (real CH-2 through CH-6), the antenna elements need to be longer so that they resonate at the lower frequencies of those channels. This is why an all channel antenna's elements are so much longer at the rear.

L-VHF reception also faces more interference from electronics and electrical appliances. By moving the antenna outdoors, you isolate it from some of the common sources that produce interference.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Dec-2013, 8:16 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
--------
Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard (911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard (4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard (2218) , ronard (2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or by from , www.ronard.com

Link to , York V45 .

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14018.

Last edited by teleview; 2-Jan-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.