TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Apr-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
tsigwing

All Good, but one channel

Here's my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9423d34bb337

I put up a channel master 4228HD on the roof with a pretty clear shot to all of the major networks. I went with this antenna because of the outstanding reception and the fact that all of my locals are located together. I also wanted to hook up 3 or 4 TV's without a pre-amp or amp. Everything is coming in outstanding, except for KDFW, fox 4. It does come in, but is the weakest by far. Not sure why it is the problem child when all other channels are great. I was really more worried about WFAA ABC, since it is a VHF high station, but it is great. I attached a picture from my hdhromrun tuner for channel 4. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Channel 4 Capture.JPG (44.7 KB, 469 views)
tsigwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Work with the height and location of the antenna. It's probably multipath creating the equivalent of a dead spot.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 3:29 AM   #3
dmfdmf

Run an FM Fool report and see if you have any hot FM stations nearby. It would not surprise me, given your great TV signal strength.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
tsigwing

Thanks for the quick replies. I have tried to turn the antenna thru a range of about 180 degree's and it is getting the best reception at the indicated location (222 north), don't have many options on height.

Here is my fmfool report (I hope):

http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
Old 16-Apr-2014, 2:20 PM   #5
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigwing View Post
It does come in, but is the weakest by far. Not sure why it is the problem child when all other channels are great.
The wavelength at 599 MHz is a shade under 20", so I would think moving it up/down even a few inches may make a difference if there's a multipath issue, or it's otherwise experiencing some sort of cancellation phenomenon from a reflection or diffraction. Worth moving it vertically a little, at least for experimentation purpose. You may not actually lose anything on the other channels by lowering it. Won't know till you try.

SiliconDust recommends signal strength above 60% (75% recommended), signal quality above 50%, and symbol quality at 100%, and you meet or exceed all but signal strength on that channel, which is close. If it's watchable without dropouts or pixilation, you may have the best you're going to get, but it could be good enough in the end. I have a couple of channels that are weak, but come in fine, and unless I look at the meter, I'd never know they're lacking - strong/clean enough is good enough.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 2:32 PM   #6
tsigwing

Thanks, I may give that a try if it becomes an issue. Just the engineer in me that wants everything at 100%.

I am trying to get off of cable and the wife is a major obstacle. If she see's any pixilation, I'll never hear the end of it, and of course that is the channel that we watch our local news on.
Old 16-Apr-2014, 2:53 PM   #7
tomfoolery

Quote:
Thanks, I may give that a try if it becomes an issue. Just the engineer in me that wants everything at 100%.
I can relate (mechanical engineer - something can always be better than it is). No joy yet in getting off cable, but I'm working on it.

Quote:
I am trying to get off of cable and the wife is a major obstacle. If she see's any pixilation, I'll never hear the end of it, and of course that is the channel that we watch our local news on.
Then, if it were me, I'd move it up/down and all around until I got the best I could get from that one channel, then make sure the others are still acceptably strong and clean. Unless the station is operating under reduced power at the moment, there's got to be a reason why it's so weak that hopefully you can get around with a little location tweaking.

Edit: Maybe also call the station. It could be that they've reduced power temporarily. Long shot, but worth a phone call to their engineering department.

Last edited by tomfoolery; 16-Apr-2014 at 2:56 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote