TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2014, 3:37 PM   #21
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
DB8B
We have the DB8 or DB8e, no DB8"B", though.

Fox is going to probably be the one network that's not easily (if at all) received. Despite the simulator's calculations, a 12 kW UHF signal from 55 miles away over hills is going to be a long shot. KQFX is on the same tower as KMIZ.

Yes, use a pre-amp. It will improve your system noise margin.

Electric lines typically cause problems on weak VHF (KOMU, for example). Only way to fix is to increase distance, should that be a problem.

I doubt you'll need the rotor unless you end up with a problem with multipath which is common in valleys.

We're located out in Ellisville not far from Manchester and just off Old State, so our office likely isn't too far away.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2014, 4:13 PM   #22
devidog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
We have the DB8 or DB8e, no DB8"B", though.

Fox is going to probably be the one network that's not easily (if at all) received. Despite the simulator's calculations, a 12 kW UHF signal from 55 miles away over hills is going to be a long shot. KQFX is on the same tower as KMIZ.

Yes, use a pre-amp. It will improve your system noise margin.

Electric lines typically cause problems on weak VHF (KOMU, for example). Only way to fix is to increase distance, should that be a problem.

I doubt you'll need the rotor unless you end up with a problem with multipath which is common in valleys.

We're located out in Ellisville not far from Manchester and just off Old State, so our office likely isn't too far away.

ADTech, I already have the DB8B and the rotor, Craigslist, I need a vhf for 8 and 12, I guess I also need a grounding block for the rg6 and will also need the amp and combiner. I should also be looking at a compression tool. I'd like to get this all sorted out before Tuesday, I'll be going out for a week or three. I know right where you are and will drive within a few miles of you on my way out. I live close to the airport in Sycamore Hills.

Any suggestions on a VHF antenna and pre-amp? How about fm trap? Also need to join the leads.
devidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2014, 4:57 PM   #23
ADTech

Okay, there's no "B" version of the DB8.

I'd use a ClearStream 5, but then I have two of them in my garage...

I'd also use the PA18, since I have those on hand.

You shouldn't need an FM trap, there are no FM stations strong enough to cause you problems out there.

This is the circuit for the basic setup: https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...e_Antennas.pdf

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 24-Oct-2014, 5:47 PM   #24
devidog

Here ya go ADTech.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010195 - Copy (2) (1024x762) - Copy (1000x744) - Copy.jpg (406.9 KB, 570 views)
Old 24-Oct-2014, 7:16 PM   #25
ADTech

Okay, that's a "standard" DB8.

You can likely rotate it AWAY from KOMU and KRCG and at least KRCG will come in fine. Maybe KOMU. The DB8 will pick up VHF much better of the back than the front as will most 8-bay bowties.

I'd try that before buying a VHF antenna and see how it works.

Old 24-Oct-2014, 7:29 PM   #26
devidog

Quote:
Okay, that's a "standard" DB8.

You can likely rotate it AWAY from KOMU and KRCG and at least KRCG will come in fine. Maybe KOMU. The DB8 will pick up VHF much better of the back than the front as will most 8-bay bowties.

I'd try that before buying a VHF antenna and see how it works.
Ok then pieces are falling in place for a try !! Thoughts on a amp ... yea or nay ?
Old 24-Oct-2014, 11:03 PM   #27
ADTech

I would.

The only pre-amp you can buy locally that I'd suggest is the RCA. You can pick it up at Menards for about $25. Make sure you CHECK the switches, they often are not where the packaging says they're supposed to be.

Have fun, I'm outa here for a day or so.

Old 24-Oct-2014, 11:18 PM   #28
devidog

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would.

The only pre-amp you can buy locally that I'd suggest is the RCA. You can pick it up at Menards for about $25. Make sure you CHECK the switches, they often are not where the packaging says they're supposed to be.

Have fun, I'm outa here for a day or so.
Thanks for the help ! You know now "exactly" where I'll be deer season come on out and have a beer and watch some tv !