TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Apr-2014, 1:33 AM   #1
skatingrocker17

Advice on Antenna Choice for Columbus, Ohio Apartment

I will be moving to Columbus for a 3 month internship. While I'm sure I can plug the TV into the wall without actually paying for cable and get my local channels through the unencrypted digital channels, but I like antennas (like most of you). I will be living within the city limits, I don't know what floor I'll be on or what direction I'll be facing but the area I'm looking at is about 10 miles from the city center. Here is a TV Fool of the approximate location: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94187c6202bc

I was looking at the Mohu Leaf 50 or 30, the 50 might be a little overkill but it will be going to 2 TVs and I'd like to get ALL of the Columbus locals. An outdoor antenna is PROBABLY out of the question, the only possible scenario for that is if I was facing the city center and had something to sit a small antenna on.

I have a Slingbox so I will still be able to access all my channels from home and my Toledo locals.

Any suggestions? Thanks
skatingrocker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 1:45 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hi Skatingrocker,

Some nice signal there. If your new place gives you a open look to magnetic 200, I'd investigate sticking an Antennacraft U2000 out there. That'd be more than enough antenna for most everything around magnetic 200.

No need for VHF support either. WGCT RF 8 is religious programming.

An eagle aspen flat coax that allows you to run coax out a window might work too so the landlord doesn't get frosted ...

I'd do everything I could though to get the antenna outside on some level though.

SS
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 1:56 AM   #3
skatingrocker17

That would probably work. The leaf says it does VHF too but probably not nearly as good as UHF. I'm sure I could probably pick up that religious station (which I'm not too worried about) with either antenna just through the station interfering with the coax cable. I won't be buying anything until I choose a place.

I'll probably play around with FM more depending on what direction I'm facing, I'd like to pick up some of my local stations in the Toledo area if possible if I have a balcony facing the north west. I've been to Columbus a lot of times, we have better radio stations here because we're served with the Toledo and much of the Detroit market as well. And I know Detroit it impossible except maybe on the best night, even then, it's pretty far.
Old 9-Apr-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
skatingrocker17

I'm actually considering getting the Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM and aiming it at Dayton with the hopes of getting more channels. Here is my Columbus TV Fool. I think I might be close enough to the Columbus towers to pick up those stations regardless of where the antenna is pointed.

This would be the angle it would have to be pointed at from my balcony.
Old 10-Apr-2014, 5:49 AM   #5
StephanieS

The likelihood of receiving Columbus off the back of antenna is really good considering you have very strong signals.

If I were trying for Dayton, I'd notice two things. First the signals are below 10db in signal strength. This means that stable, reliable reception might not be in order. Second, the little red C may factor in, meaning co-channel interference. Out of all of Dayton's signals WHIO is likely your best shot. It though does have a co-channel in WCHS. This could translate to your best shot at Dayton having problem.

Also, If were trying for Dayton specifically, I'd go bigger. I'm talking DB8e or CM4228. The C2V, while a great performer, to go after Dayton I would go up a notch since you are dealing with below 10db signal strength and 2-edge conditions.

SS
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2014, 2:56 PM   #6
skatingrocker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieS View Post
The likelihood of receiving Columbus off the back of antenna is really good considering you have very strong signals.

If I were trying for Dayton, I'd notice two things. First the signals are below 10db in signal strength. This means that stable, reliable reception might not be in order. Second, the little red C may factor in, meaning co-channel interference. Out of all of Dayton's signals WHIO is likely your best shot. It though does have a co-channel in WCHS. This could translate to your best shot at Dayton having problem.

Also, If were trying for Dayton specifically, I'd go bigger. I'm talking DB8e or CM4228. The C2V, while a great performer, to go after Dayton I would go up a notch since you are dealing with below 10db signal strength and 2-edge conditions.

SS
I actually have a DB8e here at home but I think it'd be a little big to bring. But, I have a few stations where I live that I pick up that are much less than 10dB. I have my antenna pointed towards Toledo/Detroit and I get WOHL out of Lima (the opposite direction) which is 5.6dB but only about 40 miles away. But it is still watchable through the back of the antenna.