TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Feb-2011, 7:48 PM   #1
Pork

Can you TVfools help me??

Hi, I've been trying to research digital tv antennas and seem to be more confused / undecided the more I look....thought asking the pro's would be the best bet at this point.

Here's my TV signal analysis...
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e44573ad502d4

I'm really hoping to get the Erie, PA channels. (40 miles straight line) As of now, with my small indoor/outdoor radioshack antenna I get 2, sometimes 3 Youngstown, OH channels & if everything's aligned perfectly in the universe, I get channel 24 out of Erie.

Any suggestions, tips, warnings, etc...would be greatly appreciated.
Ask any questions you need an answer to, wasn't sure what info you need to help. I feel like I'm back in the early '80's with rabbit ears, really tired of only 3 channels. Also, I'm sorry to just jump right in like a typical newbie, I'm just lost here.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2011, 7:52 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Would you be willing to mount a large antenna outside? If so, please re-run your TVF report using the highest practical elevation (AGL) you could mount at. (An indoor antenna simply won't have enough signal to work with.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2011, 7:55 PM   #3
Pork

Yes, absolutely. Actually I was planning on it, just must have missed it.
I'll run it with 25' elevation, that would not be too difficult to achieve.
Could go higher if necessary, let me know. Thanks
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e44b08ac09ad4
Old 22-Feb-2011, 8:04 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Even if it's not practical, try running the report at 50'. I am hoping to find out if there is any reason to consider going high...

Old 22-Feb-2011, 8:12 PM   #5
Pork

my post was deleted?
here's the 50' test
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e448301ff2ef5
Old 22-Feb-2011, 8:29 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Thanks for running those reports. Clearly, as you raise the antenna above 25' AGL, you start gaining access to more signal strength.

If 25' is really the practical mounting height, a Winegard HD7697 would give you the gain needed to see the top 7 stations listed. At 50' you would have access to 3 or more additional stations. You would also need a rotator to be able to get the most from the antenna. Several of the stations would be duplicate networks.

Old 22-Feb-2011, 8:41 PM   #7
Pork

Thank you very much G.U.M....I knew someone could make it sound easy.
I'll look into towers & see what I can come up with.
I think a 10'er near the peak of the roof may get me close.
It's a very windy area & I was just trying to keep it as low as possible.
I'll go high & sturdy for the signal gained.

Thanks again.
Old 22-Feb-2011, 9:10 PM   #8
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

How many Tv's are/will be connected ???? Here are places to buy Tv antennas and etc.. http://www.3starinc.com , http://www.solidsignal.com . http://www.amazon.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Feb-2011 at 9:12 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2011, 9:21 PM   #9
John Candle

The Tv transmissions are strong at 50 feet. 3starinc has towers , push up poles and roof mounts. Pointing the antenna at 3 degree magnetic compass will you the network channels. FOX, ABC , NBC , CBS , PBS . .Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . W48CH , W32DH , W52BO these three are religion channels.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Feb-2011 at 9:43 PM.
Old 22-Feb-2011, 9:45 PM   #10
John Candle

I recommend the antenna with out a rotor , pointed at 3 degrees magnetic compass. . How many Tv's are/will be connected??
Old 22-Feb-2011, 9:50 PM   #11
John Candle

How many Tv's are/will be connected??
Old 23-Feb-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Pork

I'll only have 1 connected for now, with a possibility of hooking a second up in the future.

Thanks for the quick replies...
Sorry for the delayed response, was away from the comp.

I'll check out the links provided, push up pole sounds nice & easy, but with the winds we get, I'd probably be better off with a regular tower. I'll look into 'em.

And I was thinking last night about a rotor.
Are they generally ok in high winds, or is there a certain type that's better?

Thanks again for everything.
Old 23-Feb-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
John Candle

I looked up the 3 religious stations for you. The only other station that might be worth installing a rotor for is WPCP-CD Real digital channel 27. WPCP is transmitting 4 digital sub channels , 27.1 WBGN Independent , 27.2 Home Shopping Network , 27.3 infomercials , 27.4 NBC - Universal Sports. . . . . NBC Universal Sports might be on WICU NBC Tv station sub channels to the north. . So WPCP with NBC Universal Sports and Independent channel WBGN are the deciding factors of installing a rotor or not. . Any Tv stations below WPCP will be very difficult receive , the signals are very weak and they have adjacent channel and co-channel interference.

Last edited by John Candle; 24-Feb-2011 at 4:55 AM.
Old 24-Feb-2011, 5:10 AM   #14
John Candle

To get good reception you will need to have the Tv antenna height close 50 foot height. You can check the radar report at the 40 foot height. Concerning main network channels to the north , it is best to keep WQLN-DT 50 PBS signal strength at plus + 10 NM(dB) or more. And in your reception situation antenna height is important. . . Here are some online Tv Guides , http://www.titantv.com , http://television.aol.com , http://tvlistings.zap2it.com
Old 24-Feb-2011, 7:41 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

John is right, I was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork View Post

And I was thinking last night about a rotor.
Are they generally ok in high winds, or is there a certain type that's better?

Unless you are a sports fan who needs access to network affiliates in different markets - to access blacked out games, I would have to agree with J.C. that a rotator would not be needed. In fact, given the high winds, I would not recommend any of the consumer grade rotators. A more reliable solution would be a secondary fixed aim antenna aimed SW (235° Mag.). That's if you decide you need to see WKBN, WFMJ and WYTV.

If you are still interested in a rotator, consider a Hy-Gain AR-40. At $350 retail it's not cheap but it has the strength to survive in the conditions you are describing.

For far less money, you could install a dual antenna system using A/B switching to select the desired antenna.

The bottom line is that spending money on getting an antenna up high will pay the most in terms of reliable signal reception.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Feb-2011 at 7:43 AM.
Old 24-Feb-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
Pork

Wow, thanks a lot guys...good stuff.
Sounds like I'll be getting the most 'bang for my buck' to just use the HD7697 fixed at 3 degree magnetic compass. That's the plan.

I was a little shocked at the cost of the towers online. I see lots of them locally with antennas or dishes already mounted, but not sure where they're getting them. There must be a local source. I was lucky enough to mention it to someone at work who has 4 sections to spare, so I'm hoping that'll be 40' & I can just use the pole the antenna mounts on for the extra height. Need to check it out.

Best tech support ever.
Old 26-Feb-2011, 4:17 AM   #17
GroundUrMast

Rohn H50 Telescoping Mast

The Rohn H50 is probably one of the least expensive options I can think of.

Setting it up safely is a job for four (or more) well coordinated people on a dead calm day.