TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Oct-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
djotaku

Send a message via AIM to djotaku Send a message via Yahoo to djotaku
Antenna Suggestion for 180 Separated Channels

I live in the middle of Maryland so I have one cluster of channels to the NE in Baltimore and one cluster of channels to the SW in Washington DC.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeae804991e9

(I don't care so much about Annapolis (SE) or Pittsburgh (N) - but BONUS if they can also be reached)

I can currently receive nearly all the channels from Baltimore from my indoor, flat antennas. (Although, the non-amped one doesn't get CBS and neither gets Univision) And some of the stronger DC channels.

Because the signal sometimes drops from the indoor antennas, I've been thinking of getting a roof-mounted antenna. If I got one of those, I'd like to be able to get both BAL and DC channels, but I know that digital antennas are highly directional. Are there antennas that can be pointed in both directions? (My house is a 2 story house - don't appear to be especially elevated. I-95 is about 50 yards or so behind my house - in case that causes interference or something)

Ideally, I'd like to get channel 30.1 (which Antennaweb lists as one of the furthest channels I can reach and would require a purple antenna - although I've seen on here that Antennaweb sometimes over-compensates on the antennas) as it has Asian-themed and Asian-language programming - which I have an interest in.

My house is relatively new - I think it's about 15 years old - so all the connections to the rooms are on a splitter outside. I'd be splitting to at least two rooms (maybe 3).

Last edited by djotaku; 29-Oct-2013 at 12:54 PM.
djotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 3:18 PM   #2
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

For reception of Many Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels of the South West , North East , South East .

Including WNVC.

Above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building , install a Winegard HD7696P antenna aimed at about 235 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------

For 1 or 2 Tv's connected a amplifier will most likely not be required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

If reception is If'y on the weaker signal strength Tv stations
them install a Winegard , LNA-100 'Boost' amplifier before the splitter.

---------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.winegarddirect.com

www.ronard.com

---------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2213) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

---------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

The Best Pratice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

---------

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 29-Oct-2013 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Oct-2013, 3:35 PM   #3
djotaku

Send a message via AIM to djotaku Send a message via Yahoo to djotaku
Neat, so by pointing in that direction I can get signals from both directions? Awesome!

They don't have the Winegard HD7696P at Amazon, but they do have the 94P, 97P, and 98P. Is there an easy way to interpret those numbers?
djotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2013, 3:59 PM   #4
teleview

Practical and Usefull Information.

The HD7696P antenna is a mid reception range antenna that is not to directional and works well in a varity of reception situations.
The HD7696P antenna was discontinued then continued and is now discontinued again , I am more then a little disappointed.

If you can get a good obstruction free aiming in the directions of reception then use a HD7694P antenna.

If obstructions are obscuring the reception then use a HD7697P antenna.

You can also use a Antenna Craft HBU44 antenna.
www.antennacraft.net