TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2017, 10:02 PM   #21
Tvaddict17

Actually, I tried the DB8e for all of the southern stations before the ones closer at 285ish. I will try more with a little up angle when I go back up. (it's pretty hot now). Mornings are ideal. It seems like that huge Winegard is going to win for those southern stations. I will concentrate on ways to get the CBS closest to me with the DB8e. What do you think about me trying the Juice amp?
Sorry to hear about the book thing. I am new to ordering things off of Amazon. I was hoping there prices were lower due to volume, but now I wonder if returns and open box items are why.
Tvaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2017, 10:27 PM   #22
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Glad to hear you are wiling to try some more tests. Your location is difficult and what you are trying to do is outside the TVFool guidelines. KIRO 28 is in the red and KOMO is in the gray on your report.
Quote:
What do you think about me trying the Juice amp?
At this point, I don't know if it will help or not. It has the best chance of helping if it is connected near the antenna.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2017, 2:55 AM   #23
Tvaddict17

Weekend update

Well, I spent another weekend up in the attic. I will share my results. I ended up getting the RCATVRAMP1R. It works. I saw that it was what you had Rabbit73, so i gave it a try. It proves the LNA-200 was defective, but I am past the 30 day return time for Amazon. I was using a powered 4-way splitter. I am now getting the same channels with it disconnected, and using a non-powered splitter. It's a wash I guess. I spent most of my time exhausting all possibilities with the DB8e. As before the MCM-2476 works well for the two VHF's i have. The DB8e, in my situation could not get the channels as well as the winegard 7698. When you mentioned (Rabbit73), that there are many problems with attic instillation, I actually removed the 7698 just to make sure there were no issues with it's interference. I aimed the DB8e higher for real channel 28 near me and it helped, but still not a reliable signal. I then tried it in every conceivable pattern to the south of me, but it can't match the 7698 for me. So, I brought the Winegard, (which I now have taken apart and put back together countless times, breaking the phasing lines by the way) back into the attic. I looked on the internet and found bendable aluminum rods at Hobby Lobby for a couple of bucks. Back in business. I now have every channel I want except for the elusive CBS (KIRO7) real channel 39 down south, 28 near me.
When I do get a channel scan to show the CBS channel, it shows great signal strength, but almost no signal quality.
My friend saw how many channels I got with my 37 dollar antenna that he asked to borrow it. I let him have it. Now he is hooked. This antenna thing gets contagious.
I need to get this CBS figured out before Thanksgiving. The football game I want to watch is on that channel this year. I have smoked 23 pounds turkeys the last two years in a row. I would like to make it three years in row. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-Sep-2017, 3:18 PM   #24
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the interesting report, trying to do what your TVFool report says will be difficult.
Quote:
I now have every channel I want except for the elusive CBS (KIRO7) real channel 39 down south, 28 near me. I need to get this CBS figured out before Thanksgiving.
I understand the urgency.
Quote:
When I do get a channel scan to show the CBS channel, it shows great signal strength, but almost no signal quality.
Which CBS channel, 28 or 29?
What equipment are you using for those reading?

Good signal strength but poor signal quality is a symptom of multipath reflections that damage the signal.

I have that problem with my GE 34792 attic/indoor antenna and CH13.

This single channel scan with my Sadelco DisplayMax 800 signal level meter shows notches in the signal, indicating multipath interference. Plenty of signal strength, but no lock on the signal.

Sony Diagnostics screen shows picture freeze, many errors, and SNR 0 dB.

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-Sep-2017 at 7:42 PM.
Old 12-Sep-2017, 7:38 PM   #25
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I suspected that multipath reflections were causing a problem and decided to add a reflector element to the VHF folded dipole. A cardboard box is used as a temporary support.

The reflector is 13" behind the VHF dipole and consists of a 24" length of 1" aluminum tubing with a 12" length of 7/8" tubing in each end and clamps. The length has been adjusted to 27.7". I also tried a strip of aluminum foil on a yardstick with the same results.

The reflector improves the reception:

and the scan looks a lot better:

Old 12-Sep-2017, 7:49 PM   #26
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Since the convenient location for the antenna had some problems, I tried other locations in the room. The best location for the signal was in the middle of the room in a high traffic area (of course it was).

No reflector was needed in this location and the reception was excellent:

and the channel scan looks good, with increased signal strength:

Tvaddict17:

If I were there with you, I would want to try a temporary setup outside of a UHF antenna like the DB8e or a HDB91X and a preamp with one TV to see if I could get either CBS.

Last edited by rabbit73; 13-Sep-2017 at 2:17 AM.
Old 13-Sep-2017, 10:42 PM   #27
Tvaddict17

The CBS channel down south is 39. That is the one with 100% strength, but 0 quality. I am going off of the DVR+ for those results.
I will try the outside thing. If it doesn't work, I might just get another 37 dollar one for the closer channel (28), and run it to another tuner and on to the aux port.
Old 4-Oct-2017, 4:15 PM   #28
Tvaddict17

Update

I have an update on my antenna situation. I returned both the DB8e and the MCM-2476. I purchased a 37 dollar outdoor amplified antenna (replacing the original I gave to a friend), and a second Mediasonic Homeworx 150 tuner, (30 bucks). I installed the antenna in the attic above my garage. it is a little lower than the attic above the house that has the Winegard 7698. I spent some time aiming it specifically for channel 39(CBS). A few inches either way makes a big difference. I am getting a strong reliable signal. I ran the coax to the tuner and from there to a second HDMI tv input. (thanks again Rabbit73 for the idea)
I have the Winegard 7698 pointed so that I get all of the channels except that one, (CBS). I now get all of the major networks. ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS.
Thanks again for all the help. I will post updates over the next several months to compare how the seasons may affect my reception.