TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Nov-2010, 5:44 AM   #1
siriusxmfan

TV Antenna use in Nashua, NH

Is there anyone on this forum in Nashua, NH that uses a TV Antenna for their primary TV reception? I put one on my roof a few months ago and get 28 channels, it's an audiovox HDTV Antenna(Thats what it is called) I was thinking of buying the HD STacker as I read some good stuff about that, but someone told me that I'd be lucky to get 30 channels being in Nashua. Was wondering if anyone else uses OTA in this area? Thanks.
siriusxmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2010, 6:45 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

As the other question askers have done. Do this , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2010, 6:06 PM   #3
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
northernly direction from your location.

I would use a 2 antenna system for you, consisting of an AntennasDirect XG-91 UHF antenna aimed at Needham for the Boston stations, and an AntennaCraft Y-5-7-13 5 element high-band VHF yagi aimed at Manchester for channel 9. I would combine the signals using an Antennacraft 10G221 high-input preamplifier, then run the output of the preamp power supply to to your TV set(s):you'll see all of the major Boston stations plus manchester and Derry without any problem at all.

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 30-Nov-2010 at 7:23 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
siriusxmfan

Hi Tigerbangs, You responded to me before oveer at another forum, when I was going to use ONLY the Terk HDTV outdoor antenna, As for the stations to north of me, I get those fine...with the terk hdtv antenna pointed to the SOUTH. I also get the boston stations when pointed to the south. HOWEVER, there is Just one station (WLVI Ch. 56) that I really want and that is stubborn for some reason, a Pal of mine who lives in Groveland Mass pointed out to me that WLVI Is right there in a band of staions I am getting, but, for some strange reason, I have to have the antenna turned just so to get it, when that happens, one of the boston stations drops off (Channel 4 WBZ) So, that is why I am thinking the HD Stacker might just be a better antenna and that would eliminate the problem. but, it may not and I will just keep getting the 28 channels I currently get. I like the TV Show Everyone loves raymond and want to tivo that, but it is on ch. 56. My Pal in groveland also suggested using a Tuneable antenna signal amplifier from radioshack, he sent me the part # but I dont have it with me at the moment. Anyway, that is pretty much my prediciment.
Old 1-Dec-2010, 3:33 AM   #5
Dave Loudin

If you want reliable reception of all the channels you want, then follow Tigerbangs' recommendation. Forget about the HD stacker and especially forget about tunable antennas. Your pal is not giving you very good advice.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2011, 1:23 AM   #6
siriusxmfan

He is getting really good reception with his setup. But as you can see, I did take tigerbangs advice and got the two antennas and pre-amp. Now have to get better weather in order to install them. I am eyeballing using one of my directv masts to mount the yagi antenna to but I think the mast is too big for me to get the antenna to mount to. I will probabkly have to use a drill to attach a smaller mast to the directv one, Might as well use it since it's on the roof anyway.

Last edited by siriusxmfan; 16-May-2011 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Did not word right the first time
Old 16-May-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
siriusxmfan

AntennasDirect XG-91 Is now put together, but since it is raining all week, poured yesterday, I cannot get it on the roof, So, I hooked it up just for the heck of it while it is sitting on my dinning room table and strung across the chairs too as this thing is very long. I hooked it up to the TV and used the power transfomrer that came with my terk hdtvo antenna, I got 10 channels which all things considered, it outstanding to say the least, I also have four sections of cable attached together to get it from the TV to where the antenna is in the dinning room, so with all thhat, so far...so good. I also ordered that splitter tigerbangs said to use. Now I need some good weather to put it all together.
Old 23-May-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
siriusxmfan

Update

Put together antenna last night, put it on mast and connectd it to fence post temporairly, on the ground, I am getting 28 channels. In the air, my other terk antenna got 28-30 channels, I was a little dissapointed but I have yet to put it on the roof and realize that may be all that I can get, on the other hand WMUR out of manchester was coming in crsytal clear! as was ch. 4,5,7 and fox25 and ch. 68 so I cant complain really. Will update when it goes to the roof.
Old 23-May-2011, 3:15 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Keep in mind that the 91XG is designed to be EXTREMELY directional. In marginal signal areas, a mis-aim of only 5-10° is enough to cause failed reception.

We still haven't seen a TVFool forecast as requested months ago...

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2011, 4:58 PM   #10
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

As the other question askers do. Do This --> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
Old 25-May-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
siriusxmfan

What is a tvfool forecast? And thast click here thing? What is that supposed to do, Sorry, I looked at it and I dont get what it is I am supposed to do. Anyway, Antenna is on roof, 34 channels I am getting now, all EXCEPT WMUR out of Manchester, NH, that is nowhere to be found, BUT the pagi is going up this week and will hook into the splitter, hoepfully I will see then.
Old 25-May-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
siriusxmfan

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5747ec3dae9a5b I guess this is what the report is?
Old 25-May-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusxmfan View Post
I was thinking of buying the HD STacker as I read some good stuff about that.
You have most of your networks from Boston on UHF plus WMUR on VHF, but aimed in another direction. The stacker is a dual VHF/UHF, but the two must be aimed in the same direction.

A better choice is a 4 bay UHF (U-4000, C-2, DB-4, HD4221, or HD4400) aimed at Boston plus a VHF only yagi model Y5-7-13 aimed at WMUR. Couple them together with a UVSJ. Mount them on one mast about 2' apart.

Do not use a preamp unless you want to run more than two TV sets.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-May-2011, 8:21 AM   #14
siriusxmfan

I should add one more thing, I had a Terk HDTVo antenna up and it was getting 28 channels, as to whether or not it was pointing in the right direction is unknown, I did not take a compass reading when I put it up. I looked at the map from hdatennalabs.org an more or less pointed it the the direction of a certain street and thats how I got the 28 channels on the terk. On the XG I think I might have it over a little to far to the right, I have to go back up there anyway to install the yagi. I think 34 channels is pretty good and probably the most I am going to get. My Neighbor who lives diagonal from me, his house sits a little more up hill than mine and he pulls in providence, R.I., My tivo just says searching for signal on WPRI, I get nothing and will most likely never get that staion anyway according to the chart.
Old 28-May-2011, 1:39 AM   #15
siriusxmfan

Hooked up the YAGI Tonight, turned the XG antenna a little, now getting 49 channels!! Amazing, two come out of providence, RI and one is from portland Maine. Now I am re-thinking the rotor as I think I could do a little better with one of the providence channels as it pixelates. I also got 2 analog channels I was not getting before, one is snowy and there is no info available as to where it comes from. Anyway, Very high marks to the antennas directv XG and the Yagi
Old 28-May-2011, 9:09 AM   #16
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . About what magnetic compass direction is the XG91 pointed?? . It would help us help you if you would communicate about the actual reception parts of your situation. I feel like helping you is just beyond my finger tips. Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Old 29-May-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
siriusxmfan

As for the magnetic compass reading, I do not know at all what it is, I simply made a mark on the antenna mast and top mounting bracket before I moved the antenna to where it points to now. I just know that I am getting way more channels that I could ever had hoped for. I went to that keyes antenna poitning thing and it would not let me on there. I am going to try and turn it a little more and see what happens. I know it sounds like an archaic method but it seems to work O.K. for me, I do appreciate your willing to help but I really do not think I will get any more viewable channels than what I am getting at this point, given my location, which I put on (The tvfool report thing) I will post back to how I do, Thanks, Pat
Old 30-May-2011, 7:22 AM   #18
siriusxmfan

Thanks John, read your postings, I hope free TV does not go away. I dont think it totally will, but, I think there may some changes coming, like some of it really going away....forever. I did not do a compass reading yet, but I will this week and post back. One strange thing I dont get is, the Antenna is pointed to the south, I can get a station from Portland maine which is to the North East. This station pixelates but I can see it for a bit, I'm just suprised I get it at all. And when I looked it up at anntennaweb.org, It is listed as almost 90 miles away!!
Old 31-May-2011, 5:55 AM   #19
siriusxmfan

Forgot to add, You want me to communicate about the "Actual reception parts of my situation" Antenna is about 25ft off ground, Mounted on a ten foot mast which is attached to a chimmney, the YAGI is attached to a vent pipe on a five foot mast.
Old 12-Jun-2011, 7:56 AM   #20
siriusxmfan

Now getting 38 channels, then somtimes 42 channels. Was getting 48 Channels at the start. However, I am getting all the ones I want. A neighbor told me that atmospheric conditions, foliage etc will do this.