TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jan-2011, 5:21 AM   #21
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Ok I found your uncles house. To receive all the channels that are receivable at your uncles location the first house on the road , the antenna will need to be a minimum of 70 feet high and 100 feet high would be the best. Something to think about , no big hurry. You can take your time and look for used towers

Last edited by John Candle; 26-Jan-2011 at 1:30 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2011, 1:22 AM   #22
mdoverstreet

Thanks to everyone for all the answers!

There's a tower a few miles from me that I've got my eye on. It's at a business or what used to be a business, but hardly ever is anyone there. When they are there, I'm too busy to stop. LOL
mdoverstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2011, 1:28 AM   #23
John Candle

Put a note on the door of your interest of the tower. . Other places to look for used towers are places that buy scrap metal , often times a tower will be in storage in the yard because it's worth more as a tower then as scrap metal. Also city , county , state , government storage yards. Also can check here http://www.3starinc.com . . Or type used towers in the google search box.

Last edited by John Candle; 27-Jan-2011 at 8:35 PM.
Old 24-Apr-2011, 4:27 AM   #24
mdoverstreet

Hey ya'll! Got another question for ya. A guy I know lives a few miles from my uncle's house. Well, he lives in a "bowl". I was playing around with the "what if" thing on this site. Here is his situation. What do ya'll think? He said he had someone come out with a HBU-55 and try every which way possible. I guess they had no idea that he was in a hole. He told me if he couldn't get it working, he'd give me the HBU-55, amp and the converter boxes he has. Told him that he'd probably have to go up over 200 ft. before getting anything. He said he didn't want to watch TV that badly. He told me that every now and then he'll get something from, I'm guessing, Springfield, MO. He'd get interested in watching it and then it'd drop out. LOL Told him the signal was maybe bouncing off the hills and hitting him just right. Was I right in assuming that? I'm guessing he could get different things before the changeover. Thanks a lot again! http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17c7e011f768
Old 24-Apr-2011, 8:51 AM   #25
John Candle

Run the radar plots at 100 and 75 and 50 feet and post those for us. . He may be able to get some reliable signal by pointing the antenna at the hills to get a reflected signal.

Last edited by John Candle; 24-Apr-2011 at 9:14 AM.
Old 7-May-2011, 2:18 AM   #27
mdoverstreet

Hmm...glad I didn't need a quick reply! LOL!!
Old 7-May-2011, 5:17 AM   #28
John Candle

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Ok with a 200 foot tower , I would use a Winegard HD7698P antenna and a Winegard AP 8275 preamp. And a Channel Master CM 7521A rotor. The signal strength for reliable reception is 0 NM(dB). The gain of the HD7698P is 10 to 14 dB. This will just ad enough gain for the weak channels of minus -0.5 thru minus - 9.7 to make them about plus 9 to about 0 NM(dB). The AP8275 preamp will provide the amplification to move the Tv signals through the 200 plus feet of coax. The Tv stations down to KOLR 10 CBS will be received. Even so expect to see signal drop outs on the weak channels.

Last edited by John Candle; 8-May-2011 at 7:58 AM.
Old 7-May-2011, 7:55 AM   #29
John Candle

If you will send a private message with the exact coordinates I can be of more help.
Old 7-May-2011, 5:32 PM   #30
John Candle

In place of the AP8275 preamp I suggest use a Ultra Low Noise Preamp from http://www.kitztech.com
Old 14-May-2011, 3:31 AM   #31
mdoverstreet

Those were the exact coordinates. I had the little red marker over his house. Anyway, he'll never go for the 200 ft tower thing. LOL!! He told me that he'd get satellite first before he ever went that high. He said knowing his luck a tornado would tear it all to hell as soon as it was built. LOL! Anyway, again, thanks for the help!
Old 21-Feb-2012, 1:53 AM   #32
mdoverstreet

Found a tower

Hey ya'll! I have found a tower, I think. The guy told me $450. It'll be about 70 ft. tall when put up. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b866d691b955a

What do ya'll think? Been trying to find him one for a long time. Would 70ft be enough or would he need more? Thinking of getting a rotor to see what else can be had. Also, can sections be added onto a tower if, say, I found another tower at a later date and wanted to go higher? He's got the tower on a wench and hinge plate for easily lowering/raising. I think that's what I would do as well. He was using the tower for CB/Ham radio. Well, what do you think? A CB tech friend of mine told me it sounded like a good price.

Last edited by mdoverstreet; 21-Feb-2012 at 2:09 AM.
Old 21-Feb-2012, 3:36 AM   #33
GroundUrMast

The 70' TVFR is promising. The previously mentioned Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp would be my antenna preamp choice.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2012, 10:39 PM   #34
mdoverstreet

How does $450 sound? Also, what should I be looking for as far as condition of the tower? What would be an absolute deal breaker? If I found another tower, could I use sections from that tower to make the other one taller? Should I not use the current antenna/amp that I had gotten him? If I get him a rotor, which kind is best and do you think any of the Little Rock channels are bouncing off any of the hills around him, and, if so, would he have a chance of catching any of them? Thanks ya'll!
Old 21-Feb-2012, 10:56 PM   #35
GroundUrMast

I would not climb a tower that has been repaired or has dented or bent vertical structure. I would be critical of anything more than superficial rust. A quick wire brushing and coat of paint would be reasonable maintenance. (Look inside the tubes for rust.)

Re. adding sections, avoid mixing and matching parts from different vendors. From the same vendor, use their published guides and instructions to determine what parts can be combined safely, and how to build a safe foundation and guy system.

the $450 price tag sounds like it's worth looking at.

Ask yourself, "Would I let someone I love climb this?"

Old 21-Feb-2012, 11:06 PM   #36
mdoverstreet

Wasn't planning on anyone climbing the tower. That's why I was going to use a wench and hinge plate. I know my big ass ain't getting on it! LOL!
Old 21-Feb-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
GroundUrMast

Be certain the tower is designed to be raised the way you intend to... Many shorter towers will collapse when raised the way you're describing. Tilt-up towers are engineered to withstand the forces put on them. If this is not designed as a tilt-up tower, or you modify it... you're on your own.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Feb-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 12:31 AM   #38
mdoverstreet

I hope it was designed that way. He's got it set up that way now. Said he's had it up and down a few times over the years trying different CB and Ham antennas.