TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 14-Aug-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Yaguy

RE: Coax Loops and Proper Routing for Antennas

I'm wondering if there is a particular way a loop for the coax should be made to allow for the rotator to turn the antenna without straining the coax, and also to keep it relatively free from too much movement in the wind.

I have a short section of mast above the rotator, about 12", and over time the loop has sagged and has been contacting the now rusty clamp below the rotator. I have a V-type log periodic, AntennaCraft VU-160XR VHF/FM/UHF antenna. I have the coax taped to the lower section of boom and then it curves downward and has the coax loop near the rotator. I thought about going a bit further out towards the back of the antenna, along the lower boom and then making a 'curve' to the mast below the rotator but I don't want it to contact the chimney or move too much in the wind.
Yaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Aug-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Yaguy

RE: Coax loops for rotator and Chimney Mounts

What I was trying to get at is for those of us with chimney mounts who have a short, unguyed mast section and then the mast section above the rotator, both not too far away from my chimney, has anyone found that the coax has found a way to rub the bolts on the rotator and, short of winding it around the rotator like some do with heavier coax used in HAM radios, I don't really know how to keep the loop away. I was even thinking of maybe using that flexible, plastic wiring protector hose or tubing that can be pulled over wire, like you see in automobiles.
Yaguy is offline   Reply With Quote