TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Sep-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
wally99

In need of recommendations

Good evening. I've been doing some research for a new antenna and supplies and/or equipment, but am not sure what would be best for my situation.

Here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362d9df995f88

I don't know anything about the antenna we're currently using (my grandparents installed it sometime after they built their home in 1981 I think). We are only able to pick up a few channels (NBC, CW and PBS), but sometimes reception is spotty. I suspect it might have to do with the wind or the wires, which look in need of replacement. The antenna is about 10 ft. above the roofline. There's no amp or splitters connected, although we may want to add in the future if necessary.

We would like to get as many channels as we can and decent quality especially now that football season is upon us. Could anyone give me a few suggestions? Thanks.
wally99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2010, 1:57 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

You should rerun your report for the antenna height that you think you will use. Consider using the "start MAPS" option to be sure that the receive location is in the right place (drag the pointer to the right place if need be.) I bet your results will improve some.

The good news is all the market stations are in the same direction except for the PBS station that's almost the opposite way. This means you will NOT need a rotor. The somewhat bad news is that you're generally in the long shadow of a hill/mountain about 20 miles away. For reliable reception, you will need a high gain antenna like the Winegard HD7698P aimed at just about due east. Tilt the antenna up just slightly, too. Unless you've got more than a 50 foot run of cable, I would not worry about a preamp.

If your new report shows much stronger signals, then you could get a smaller antenna, such as the Winegard HD7696P.

Good luck!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2010, 9:55 PM   #3
wally99

Thanks, Dave, for the advice! Just what I needed. I'll try rerunning the report again.
wally99 is offline   Reply With Quote