TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Digital TV and Mobile DTV

Notices

Old 2-Dec-2016, 5:59 AM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Low cost Spectrum Analyzer

I followed the lead of Pete Higgins and set up a low cost RTLSDR spectrum analyzer.

For more info, see this thread in the Hi-Def forum:

http://www.highdefforum.com/local-hd...r-10-00-a.html

It cost me less than $10 in hardware, free software and it rivals some of the screenshots of spectrum analyzers I have seen around the different forums:

Thanks for reading, I am just scratching the surface, but already I see that is very useful and cost 99% less than a professional analyzer !

Bob

Last edited by bobsgarage; 5-Dec-2016 at 4:24 AM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Excellent information and from what I've seen, they look like they work well and I sure wish I had a tablet that could support it

I bought 2 of them a few months back and couldnt make either one work with xp or my kindle or my android phone so for me it would require buying a new computer or a new phone which would cost more than buying a stand alone unit
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2017, 12:48 AM   #3
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRELESS ENGINEER View Post
Excellent information and from what I've seen, they look like they work well and I sure wish I had a tablet that could support it

I bought 2 of them a few months back and couldnt make either one work with xp or my kindle or my android phone so for me it would require buying a new computer or a new phone which would cost more than buying a stand alone unit
Well, it's been almost a year and I have made a lot of spectrum saves, done a lot of overlays etc... It's really a great tool. I will admit that it does needs a fairly powerful PC. The one I run is a "hot rodded" HP with an i7 4770 and Intel SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro. Even with that it tends to take a fairly long time to analyze the spectrum. Several minutes anyhow.

I used it so much trying to analyze my two antenna set-up and got the antennas pointed to optimum that I finally unhooked it, no use for it. If need be, I can rerun a cable to the PC for signal analysis in the future.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 11-Apr-2020 at 4:39 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote