TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2014, 2:40 AM   #1
jamison12bird

Antenna Recommendation Southern Utah

Here's the link to my signal analysis results. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243770fc2866c

A while back I started losing channels that I've been getting for years. Mainly channels 5.1 (NBC), 4.1 (ABC), and 2.1 (CBS), the main channels that I watch. I've got a Sharp Aquos TV, and saw that they were somewhat notorious for having their built in digital tuner go bad. I had an older analog digital tuner box that I used before I got my new tv, and hooked it up. I could again get NBC,ABC, and CBS, but it was not a great picture as it was analog. I bought a new digital tuner thinking that it was just the built in tuner of the tv that was bad. The new tuner picks up the before mentioned channels, but they're choppy and pix-elated. The signal strength is way low for them (at least that's what the reading from the new tuner says), so my guess is maybe my antenna is going bad.

I'm in the market for a new antenna and as I started looking around, I soon realized I was a little over my head. From antennaweb it's telling me I need a "violet" rated antenna to get the stations in my area. I currently point my antenna to the tower located to the SWS (209deg).

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.
jamison12bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

What are you using for an antenna? Any pre-amp? Where is the antenna mounted?

Gradual loss of reception is usually a sign of one of the following:

1. Water infiltration into baluns or coax or the effects of corrosion in connections.
2. Tree and foliage growth in front of or near the antenna.
3. Changes in the environment such as new construction or new electrical interference sources.

All of your available signals come from the translators at Orderville. Have you contacted the operator of the translators [The licensee is WESTERN KANE COUNTY SPECIAL SERVICE DISTRICT #1] and ruled out operational issues on their part?

Based on your chart, a uni-directional UHF antenna would be the appropriate selection. Depending on your cabling and any splits, a pre-amp might or might not be needed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 3:07 PM   #3
jamison12bird

Thanks for your reply,

My current antenna is mounted on the roof. I'm thinking it's more of a multi directional antenna. It's got 2 panels that are horizontal bars with circular things in front of them. There is no pre-amp. I've checked the coax connections and they seem perfect. The closest tree is probably a good 30 ft to the East side of my LOS to the tower.

Any specific recommendations on a good uni-directional UHF antenna, or pre-amp (if pre-amp is needed, I'll probably try without it first)?
I've only got one TV, so no splits in coax. Just directly from my antenna to my TV. I'd say about 15-20' of RG6.

Thanks,
Old 4-Sep-2014, 3:38 PM   #4
ADTech

That sounds like one of our ClearStream loop antennas. Does it have a single loop, a single figure-8 loop, or a pair of figure-8 loops? How old is it?

Like this one, the ClearStream 4?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:07 PM   #5
jamison12bird

It' s similar to that one. I feel likes it's only a single loop for each bay though.
Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:11 PM   #6
jamison12bird

I forgot to tell ya. The antenna is 10+ years old.
Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:23 PM   #7
ADTech

Okay, it's something else, then. The C4 has only been around since late 2008.

Try a new matching transformer and coax, that might be all it takes.

Old 5-Sep-2014, 7:25 AM   #8
teleview

+=>

Install a.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

CM4228HD antenna aimed at about 197 degree magnetic compass direction.

As a Test to prove reception connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the CM4228HD antenna and run the coax through a open door or window direct to the Tv location.
Old 5-Sep-2014, 4:41 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

As a first step...

If you were enjoying reliable reception nearly 10 years, and the antenna is still in good condition, changing the matching transformer and possibly the coax that's been in the elements all that time make far more sense to me.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote