TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Nov-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
MikeJ

Reception Question

Hello!

I use Time Warner for basic cable (channels 2 through 14) and Roadrunner, and I recently purchased an HD television.

The TV has a feature that searches the cable/airwaves for channels, and when I used this feature I started to receive some additional HD channels that I didn't get before. For example, in addition to channels 1 through 14, I receive 3-1, 3-2, 7-1, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, etc. I do not receive any of these channels if I disconnect the cable. I do not have a separate antenna.

I had a service call with Time Warner yesterday (my cable modem died), and I asked the tech about this. He told me that this is a common occurrence, and that the incoming cable lines are acting as an antenna.

Has anyone heard of this happening? The OTA channels I appear to be receiving aren't perfect...sometimes the picture is pretty good, but much of the time there is some pixelation (usually at the bottom of the screen) and the sound cuts in and out.

Is there something I can install to improve these OTA signals?

Thanks!
Mike
MikeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2010, 1:53 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Your cable technician is an idiot! What you are receiving on your TV set are unencrypted QAM digital signals: probably shopping channels and the local TV stations sent down in HD. Cable TV companies in the US are not allowed to encrypt the digital signals from your local HDTV stations, and, since the cable company makes money from shopping channels, the don't encrypt those, either. You are also probably seeing the multiple signals from your local PBS stations, as well.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 9:17 AM   #3
MikeJ

That's exactly what I'm receiving, and that makes a lot more sense.

I'm probably SOL as far as the pixelation/sound problems. I'll try complaining to Time Warner.

Thanks very much for the help!
MikeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 9:16 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Reception

For over the air signals do this , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 .
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote