TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Feb-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
zippibye

Las Vegas Analysis Review: Omnidirectional?

I have have done quite a bit of reading here on TV Fool over the past few months. Now it's time to take action. This is my first post as a new member. What a great resource! Thanks for the education to date, and what's yet to come.

I'll be tackling a more interesting (i.e. extreme measures) project at our remote vacation cabin soon, but here's the more straight-forward urban situation. The bulk my stations are within about a 60 degree spread, < 30 miles away, LOS:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b940e1cdf6d23

FYI, mounting on the south roof peak or nearby chimney clears all man-made obstacles. Not considering a rotor. I also have a huge attic space at the south peak. While HOA concerns don't really exist, I would put anything big/complex in appearance in the attic; for outside mount I'd lean toward an enclosed case antenna or something fairly small with a traditional appearance, just to be a good neighbor.

I have a cable distribution point outside my house that would require about a 50 ft. run from the mounting position. From that distribution box, "your distance will vary." I'd guess the most extreme is around 60-70 feet to our master bedroom. So the longest total run would be 120 ft.

With most of my channels in the southeast, I'm wondering if there is any point in trying an omnidirectional antenna to ensure reception of the stations that are more toward the southwest? Also wondering what the prospect would be for grabbing some of those > 30 mile signals with an amplified, more capable antenna than would be required to get most of my locals?

The Winegard outdoor Flatwave FL6550A has caught my attention, or the Metrostar series or Channel Master CM03000HD when considering omni models. But if a $30 antenna in my attic will do just as well, I'm all about avoiding overkill. I also don't care about spending five times as much if there is a significant benefit.

I would appreciate all general comments on my situtation, along with specific recommendations regading antennas and amplification. Thanks!

Rich in Las Vegas
zippibye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2014, 6:48 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
A Simple reception situation , above the roof install a , www.antennacraft.net , 5884 , All channel antenna aimed at about 133 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

A simple antenna mount , a Winegard DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount will work well with the , 5884 Antenna Craft antenna.

www.antennacraft.net

www.amazon.com

-----------

The reception signal strengths are strong at your location are LOS=Line Of Sight , reception is easy.

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.