TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Jul-2010, 6:10 PM   #1
zp3design

Antenna help for newbie

I would like some help on choosing a antenna and what type of wire to run.

If possible I would like to start out with a basic setup, stationary antenna direct to TV if that will work in my area. Only concerned with picking up the stronger signals on my list at this time.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe7ad5d78944

I have a new TV with RF connection and a spool of RG59 cable.

Thank you very much for any help.

Bob
zp3design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
mtownsend

You have plenty of very strong signals coming from multiple directions.

With so many strong signals, it might be enough to overload amps. Just to be on the safe side, I'd avoid using any antennas with a built-in amp or trying to add any kind of in-line signal amp. I don't think you need it, and and overloaded amp can make things worse rather than better.

I'd recommend trying to install a Winegard MS-1000 (this is the un-amplified version of the MS-2000) on your roof. This is an omni-directional antenna so you should be able to pick up most stations without ever having to adjust the antenna. Some initial fine-tuning is a good idea when you first install it (because "omni" antennas don't really have perfectly uniform performance in all directions), but after that, you can simply leave the antenna alone.

A rooftop antenna placement will do much better than an indoor or attic antenna because signal reflections from objects inside the house tend to make reception more difficult. Your signals are strong enough to be picked up indoors (if you feel like trying it out with a cheap indoor antenna), but I think you will be much more satisfied with an outdoor antenna setup (no fussing around with the antenna each time you change channels, and more reliable reception all around).

Use RG6 coax to connect the signal into your house and to your TV. RG59 is thinner cable, but it has less shielding (making it more susceptible to interference) and it has more signal loss per foot than RG6. After 30+ feet of cable, the difference in signal strength will start to add up. RG6 is definitely better quality cable, yet it is still fairly inexpensive and easy to find.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2010, 7:59 AM   #3
zp3design

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I shall follow your advice.

Thanks again,
Bob
zp3design is offline   Reply With Quote