TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jul-2012, 1:33 AM   #1
memphis81

New to OTA... Advice needed!

Hello everyone!

I am so happy to find this website! I have lots of questions!

We currently have cable but want to get rid of it. Our situation is we have a 2 story home that has cable in every room, but it has been split multiple (at least 3) times. We have 3 tvs, a main large one, and then smaller ones in the kitchen and one BR.

I was wondering if an attic antenna would be a good idea. It would be at an approximate height of maybe 25'. Then I was wondering, would it be the best solution to just run one line from the antenna in the attic to the basement and then to the main tv, and then buy small antennas for the BR and kitchen? Or split the line to the 3 tvs? The only issue is that I am unsure how to get the cable to the upstairs BR, even though there is cable tv cable already there. I think it was originally run from the attic, so maybe we could run the antenna line to this BR. The kitchen we could easily hook up with the antenna line when we run the cable down to the basement and into the first floor. Then should we get an amplifier? I was wondering too if the cable tv line would act as an antenna, maybe in the BR? Or really I could just get rid of the BR tv if it is too much trouble!

The last detail is that the attic space is rather small...there is maybe 4 feet at the highest point in the attic...I don't know if that makes any difference or not. And then too it does get hot up there...not that I go up there ever... it is just an empty space with a lot of blown cellulose insulation on the floor of the attic, and a square foot hole in the upstairs ceiling to get in there! I read in another post that the wires or something will fail in the heat? It is a shingle roof. So now I am kind of wondering if the attic would be best.

Here is our report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900555ea15f32

I would really appreciate what exact items to buy and the best setup suggestions.

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!
Jennifer
memphis81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jul-2012, 1:54 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Some attics make fair or even good antenna sites. Tile and metal roof and any type of metal (duct, foil insulation, solar panels, etc) reflect and attenuate radio waves. So generally, a traditional wood frame rood with composition shingles... that does not load up with snow tends to be preferred over other types of roofs.

If you have cable now, do you plan to terminate all services, TV, Phone and Internet? If so, the cable inside your house belongs to you, not the cable company. Most 'cable cutters' can disconnect the cable from the grounding block near the electrical service meter, then connect the OTA TV to the grounding block. In most cases, viola' all TV's now have signal.

Your best reception will be with an outdoor antenna, mounted high. Before I suggest specific items, what are your thoughts so far?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jul-2012, 2:12 PM   #3
Electron

Above the roof install a Winegard HD7082P antenna aimed at about 5 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box.

Here are places to by antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Dec-2012 at 8:19 PM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jul-2012, 2:36 PM   #4
Electron

The antenna Can Not be connected to any active Cable system coax.

If a coax has any type or kind of active Cable delivered service be it , cable Tv , cable delivered internet service , cable phone service , or any other type or kind of active Cable services.
The antenna and the antennas coaxes can not be connected to it.

Do not mix the Tv antenna channels and Cable services on the same coax.

Coaxes that are not being used for Cable services , can be used for the Tv antenna system.

To distribute the Tv antenna channels to the 3 Tv's use a Channel Master CM 3414 distribution amplifier.
http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

The coax from the antenna will be connected to the input of the distribution amplifier.

Coaxes will go from the outputs of the distribution amplifier out to each Tv location.

It is Ok to use coax that is in the house now , if there are no active cable services on the coax.

And what does one do with a coax so the coax has no Cable delivered services.

Easy , disconnect the coax from the Cable system.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Dec-2012 at 8:20 PM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Old 15-Jul-2012, 2:36 PM   #5
memphis81

Well, we are in NW Ohio so we do get a fair amount of snow, but we don't have any metal up there that I know of, except around the base of the chimneys at the roof, the venting pipe and the chimney caps.

We currently have cable and Roadrunner internet. No home phone. We want to keep the internet, and are thinking maybe of getting a faster speed on that once we drop the cable. Would that render the cable lines unusable as an antenna?

I thought the attic would be easier/cheaper, but I am open to suggestions. The attic is really tough to get into and then there is all that insulation to deal with. I would rather do it right one time. I am concerned since I heard that mounting on the roof could mess up the roof with the vibrations/movement of the antenna. We checked with a local antenna/tv company and he wanted over $800 to install an antenna on the roof (with amplifiers and a rotor, etc) and run the cable! I was stunned. So a coworker said he would help me put one in the attic.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!
Old 15-Jul-2012, 2:53 PM   #6
Electron

-

As I said , the antenna can not be connected to a coax line that has cable delivered internet service.

A separate coax must be run for either the Cable coax or the Antenna system coax.

The antenna system can not be connected to Any type or kind of Active cable delivered services.

Yes you can use coax that is in or on your house for the antenna system coax as long as there is no active cable service on the coax.

If you only require Cable internet service to one location , then all the other coaxes can be disconnected from Cable and used for the antenna system.

Concerning the antenna rotor , do not use a antenna rotor , aim the antenna as directed.

Last edited by Electron; 15-Jul-2012 at 3:04 PM.
Old 15-Jul-2012, 3:13 PM   #7
Electron

The Tv's must scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel throught the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Dec-2012 at 8:20 PM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Old 19-Jul-2012, 7:16 PM   #8
memphis81

another question...

Thanks for the detailed replies! I have been following the links and making a list. I think we will mount it outside on the second floor with an eave mount.

I was looking at another site antennapoint.com just out of curiosity, and they recommend the antenna DB4 Antenna 4DXB for our address, which looks really different. I don't know anything about antennas and I am just curious what is the advantage in each of the antenna designs (antenna recommended here was Winegard HD7082P)?

It is quite interesting reading the different posts....thanks again for the expert advice I really do appreciate it!!

Jennifer
Old 19-Jul-2012, 7:55 PM   #9
teleview

Tv Reception.

Your reception location has receivable Tv stations/channels in ALL 3 Tv bands.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

The HD7082P antenna is designed to receive ALL 3 Tv bands.

The DB4 is designed to receive UHF channels 14 thru 51.

It is well known that , antennapoint and antennaweb Do Not List ALL of the Tv stations/channels that can be received.

You are testing this for your self by installing the HD7082P antenna.

You will receive many more Tv stations/channels then antennapoint or antennaweb say you can receive.

Last edited by teleview; 19-Jul-2012 at 8:13 PM.
Old 20-Jul-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
memphis81

thank you for all the info!

You guys are the best!
Old 7-Dec-2012, 1:00 PM   #11
memphis81

need more advice, please!

Hello again....I have been testing indoor antennas and just about given up....we just don't get a lot of channels and the reception is really spotty. And we have been waffling about mounting the antenna on the outside of the house...

So, what antenna setup would be recommended for inside the attic? If you could give specific items to buy that would be really helpful!!

Thanks so much for your advice!
Old 7-Dec-2012, 9:10 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

Have you considered testing reception with the existing antenna? Even if it's an indoor antenna, designed to be protected from the elements, you can get a long RG-6 cable and place the antenna outside if it's not raining. You can also test reception in the attic.

Indoor and attic mounting are rarely going to offer the signal quality an antenna mounted high and in the clear.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-2012, 7:50 PM   #13
memphis81

interesting experience Monday

Our indoor antenna does get more channels upstairs, but I have not yet held it outside an upstairs window to see if it gets more.

Monday a guy I found on Craigslist came over to give a demonstration of his antenna...he posted a very reasonable price to install an antenna setup that he had good luck with.

It looked to be a modified Winegard's GS-1100 HDTV antenna with an amplifier added to it. He tried the front yard and then even climbed up on our 2 story roof with it, but it got exactly zero channels, every time we scanned for channels! He said that had never happened to him before. I was kind of shocked too since we got a few channels with the cheapo indoor antenna. I mentioned the antenna suggested in these posts and he is going to come over with one to test it after the holidays. I just changed to basic cable yesterday.