TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 23-Apr-2011, 5:50 PM   #1
Heywood43

What type of antenna is this?

I moved into a house that already had this antenna on the roof. I don't see any inside connections and was thinking of using it for TV or even FM for my basement receiver. Before I make the trip onto the roof I figure I find out exactly what I have.

I am guessing it is a TV antenna but when I researched online I can't seem to find one that looks like it. Can anyone tell what type of antenna this is?

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof_antenna.jpg (67.0 KB, 1146 views)
Heywood43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2011, 6:41 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

That looks like a couple of very old (probably worn out) VHF TV antennas. In it's prime the larger would have done well as an FM antenna.

I don't want to be critical of the photo, but I can't see the entire antenna, it's possible that it is a single 2-bay VHF... Electrically similar to the UHF panel antenna designs.

The twin lead wire probably rotted away in the sun years ago. Which is why you can't find any connection inside the house.

As I drive or walk around the neighborhoods here in the Seattle Metro area, I still see a few of that type antenna. Virtually all have been abandon since the 60's and 70's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antennas_Direct_DB2.jpg (7.0 KB, 2096 views)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Apr-2011 at 10:18 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Heywood43

Thanks for the response. I figured it was something pretty old. And no worries on the photo criticism. It was taken with a my cell phone while on a ladder. As I said before I haven't ventured onto the roof yet, this was my best attempt while cleaning the gutter

I have cable for TV so that's not a big deal but I would like something for AM/FM reception. I might be better served to buy something new so know I have an antenna that works.

Last edited by Heywood43; 24-Apr-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Heywood43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2011, 1:11 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Antennacraft have a couple choices in FM antennas. http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasFM.html

Winegard is also a reliable option. http://www.winegard.com/offair/radio.php

Antennas Direct V4 is yet another option. http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/V4_antenna.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Apr-2011 at 1:14 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2011, 7:35 PM   #5
John Candle

Tv antenna design

Those 2 antennas are 2 Very Old VHF antenna designs. They are not UHF antennas. . If you will like more help with the Correct antenna for your location then do this , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 in the help with reception part of tvfool. It is Ok to do what the other question askers do and post a tvfool radar report.

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Aug-2011 at 1:15 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Jim5506

I believe they called those conical antennas, sort of like having multiple rabbit ears, or a larger version of today's UHF bow tie type antenna but for VHF.
Jim5506 is offline   Reply With Quote