TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 27-Feb-2014, 8:00 PM   #1
yvrdarb

2 to 1 Coax Connector

What do I need to combine two antennas into one coax cable into my TV?

Will a normal splitter also work as a "combiner"?
yvrdarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2014, 8:57 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

A 2-way splitter might work. It's cheap and won't break anything else in the system, so there's no reason not to try.

The problem is, the splitter is not going to filter weaker interfering copies of a signal coming from the antenna that is not the desired source of a given signal. (Both antennas will likely receive some signal, and when mixed together the good signal may be effected quite negatively.)

If you have a UHF only antenna and are combining it with a VHF only antenna, then use a UHF/VHF signal combiner. Radio Shack, Antennas Direct and Solid Signal offer versions of the same idea, a part that looks like a 2-way splitter, but has tuned filters that isolate the two antennas.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2014, 9:29 PM   #3
dmfdmf

TV/FM splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you have a UHF only antenna and are combining it with a VHF only antenna, then use a UHF/VHF signal combiner. Radio Shack, Antennas Direct and Solid Signal offer versions of the same idea, a part that looks like a 2-way splitter, but has tuned filters that isolate the two antennas.
I am looking for a signal combiner/splitter for FM/TV, a part that is getting harder to find. I found the MCM Electronics #33-350 that should do the job but I can't find any specs on it. Do you know if it blocks FM on the TV port? Do you know what the FM db loss is on that leg?

I have a regular splitter to feed my TV distribution amp and my FM receiver but want to replace it with the FM/TV splitter. I have a hot FM station nearby at 91.1 MHz that is trashing my FM reception and I don't want that signal going into my TV amp. Also, I am thinking of buying a tinlee custom notch filter but they are bit pricey.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Jason l

I have little better reception with two DIY 8bay pointed same direction. Combined together at tv after preamps. With regular splitters used in reverse. I experimented with many splitters. All of them react differently. If I turn one antenna north and leave one south I will pick up north channels,but loose some distant far south Channels so yes I would try it if one splitter don't work u may try a different one.
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote