TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-May-2014, 5:54 PM   #1
Kendricks

Another install help request - Ottawa Area

Hey everyone,

Here's yet another help request for a new install.

We are dropping our cable provider for an internet only set-up, with an antenna set-up.

Our television set is in the basement, and we are thinking of mounting an antenna either on the roof, or in the attic, depending on what is required for each. I've approximated 20 feet height for the roof at its peak, though I'm not sure how precise this measurement is yet, it's possibly closer to 30 at its peak. 20 makes more sense for the attic. I was looking at the RCA ANT751, as it seems to be getting good reviews and is fairly cheap.

In any case, here is the signal analysis report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6675957c1eb

We seem to be getting two streams of channels from opposite directions, and it makes me wonder if the ANT751 is the appropriate choice for it. Also, do you guys think an attic setup would suffice? I don't really mind doing a roof setup either. I'm pretty handy, and will be able to install myself, but I am just unsure as to what hardware to use (wiring, mounting, antenna itself, boosters, etc.).

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Kendricks; 13-May-2014 at 6:03 PM.
Kendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2014, 6:26 PM   #2
tomfoolery

Seems to me that an HBU11 or ANT751 aimed 158 deg. magnetic (the weaker signals) would receive the stronger signals which are exactly 180 degrees opposite just fine. They don't have strong rejection from the rear, and the gain should be enough for the 35 dB NM of the weakest station in the green (CITY-DT), and the weakest but still 25 dB stronger one off the back (CFGS-DT).
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2014, 9:26 PM   #3
Kendricks

Nice, thank you. Channel Master was recommending their CM-3000HD, being omnidirectional. Would you recommend one antenna over the other? I had also been looking at their 4 and 8 bays units.

Would any of these set-ups be good for the attic?

Last edited by Kendricks; 14-May-2014 at 9:29 PM.
Old 20-May-2014, 7:02 PM   #4
Kendricks

Right now I'm considering the CM-3000HD Smartenna set-up in the attic. Will possibly add a preamp if needed.

Would a Db8e be overkill?

Anyone has input regarding these antenna models in this setup?

I'm not going to lie I'm a bit confused with my choices.

If I can pull off an attic install (even if it needs a pre-amp) it'll be better for our house, but I'm not closed to a roof install either.

Last edited by Kendricks; 20-May-2014 at 7:49 PM.
Old 20-May-2014, 8:13 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

The DB8E would be more antenna than needed, primarily in terms of cost.

The CM-3000HD is also less than ideal in terms of cost.

I agree with the suggestions offered by tomfoolery... The HBU-11, HBU-22 and ANT-751 are good matches in your situation. An attic install may work. If not, these antennas should do quite well outside, clear of the obstruction produced by the building materials.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-May-2014, 8:23 PM   #6
tomfoolery

My thinking was that all your target stations are exactly 180 degrees apart, and they're nicely divided by noise margin values into two contiguous blocks. A directional antenna would be ideal, but an omni would be more likely to allow multipath signals to come in too strong and possibly mess up a good thing. The attic would only make it worse, maybe much worse, so a directional antenna would be best in the attic, too. Better above the roof. And with such strong signals, you don't need a high-gain antenna, IMO, and I'd aim it at the weaker signals and let the stronger ones come in off the back.

I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert, so do listen to what GUM, teleview, towerguy, and a few others have to say.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-May-2014, 8:42 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
My thinking was that all your target stations are exactly 180 degrees apart, and they're nicely divided by noise margin values into two contiguous blocks. A directional antenna would be ideal, but an omni would be more likely to allow multipath signals to come in too strong and possibly mess up a good thing. The attic would only make it worse, maybe much worse, so a directional antenna would be best in the attic, too. Better above the roof. And with such strong signals, you don't need a high-gain antenna, IMO, and I'd aim it at the weaker signals and let the stronger ones come in off the back.

I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert, so do listen to what GUM, teleview, towerguy, and a few others have to say.
Very well said.

Old 21-May-2014, 6:09 PM   #8
Kendricks

Oh nice, thanks guys. Ok, back to the HBUs or ANT751 then. Any preference on either?

If I must keep in the attic, would the preamp be worthwhile with one of these directionals?

If not, I'll probably get a 10' mast to the chimney. I'll just need to figure out where to bring the cable inside. I guess I can also work it incrementally. Install the antenna in the attic first, then increase from there.
Old 21-May-2014, 9:15 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

I would let price/availability determine the choice between the Antennacraft and RCA antennas.

Attics can be acceptable antenna locations and they can be absolutely horrible. The only way to know in each case is to put the antenna in there and see what you get.

Old 21-May-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
teleview

+=>

A Simple Reception Situation.

Above the Peak of the Roof install a http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU11K antenna aimed at about , 158 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone or tablet or etc. compass.

--------

A antenna system amplifier is not required for , 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , Tv's connected.

--------

http://www.tdlcanada.ca.

www.saveandreplay.com

Last edited by teleview; 9-Jun-2014 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 22-May-2014, 8:30 PM   #11
Kendricks

Thanks again!

Why the HBU11K over the ANT 751? Is there a difference other than price?
Old 22-May-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
teleview

+=>

Because of the Bow Tie Shaped UHF Reception Element , the HBU11K has better reception of the Current UHF Channels 14 thru 51.
Old 9-Jun-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Kendricks

Hey thanks everyone!

Ended up installing the antenna in the attic (was it ever hot in there...), at 158 like you suggested, and the signals are strong enough even without a pre-amp, even with the wire running to the basement.

Time to ditch cable!
Old 9-Jun-2014, 11:14 PM   #14
teleview

+=>

Very Good.

Attics and the inside of buildings Are Not reception friendly environments and Never Will Be reception friendly environments.

If reception situations happen in the attic and inside of building that are not resolvable with antenna aim adjustments and antenna location adjustments in the attic and inside of building.

Then move the antenna to Above the Peak of the Roof.

-------------------

Here is a way to receive All of the PBS Networks and also other Networks.

For Free.

With a Satellite Receiver and -->Small KU Band Dish<--.

FTA-ST = Free To Air Satellite Tv , AKA , FTA.

Satellite Tv That is Received at No Cost to Receive For the Purpose of Being Free To Receive has been Available Since the Year 1997.

-------------------

Here are web sites to learn more.

http://www.ftalist.com.

http://www.manhattan-digital.net.

http://www.saveandreplay.com.

http://www.tdlcanada.ca

Last edited by teleview; 11-Jun-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 10-Jul-2014, 9:01 PM   #15
Kendricks

Hmm I may have spoken too soon...

I seem to be experiencing bad reception for channels under 10, even though their signals are broadcasted from the same antenna.

Would a pre-amp help here? Or is the only solution to get the antenna on the rooftop?
Old 11-Jul-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
Kendricks

Quick information update.

I'm using an HTPC with a win7 TV tuner, a Hauppauge model.

Using Window Media Center, it is able to scan for signal strength, and is giving me strong signals for all channels above 10, and poor/weak signals for those under 10, namely 4, two at 6 (HD and SD) and 8.

I was now considering a preamp, the CM 7778 as an easy fix (roof install is a pain for the moment). A friend suggested the roof interferes more with lower frequencies, resulting in my current situation.

If that doesn't work, I'm getting the roof redone later in the summer, maybe I can use the guys while they're up there to put up a mast and the antenna.
Old 11-Jul-2014, 2:25 PM   #17
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You only have one VHF channel operating on channel 13. ALL of the rest of your stations, regardless of their display number, are UHF stations.

You do not need nor should you use a pre-amplifier, your local signals are already very, very strong and a pre-amp will only make things worse.

Getting the antenna, whichever one you finally picked, out of the attic and up in the air will likely be your best solution. Keep an eye for common items like trees and buildings that might be in the signal path and do your best to place the antenna so as to avoid those obstacles.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2014, 2:33 PM   #18
Kendricks

Makes sense. Thanks.

Yeah I was hoping to save the extra hassle of mounting it on the roof, but there may not be any getting around it after all.
Old 11-Jul-2014, 3:34 PM   #19
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Well, try multiple spots in the attic first. Attics can be real "signal suckers".

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote