TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Dec-2014, 6:00 PM   #1
agmccall

Temporary Solution Needed

Hello Again

Before I start, here is a link to my previous thread.
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14718

Because winter has set in in upstate NY and I do not have the $$ to pay someone to go up on my roof to install the antenna's that were recommended I am in need of a Temporary Solution.

I have an upstairs window that faces a northerly direction, as suggested in previous post. I am currently using a cheap rca antenna I got at walmart, RCA ANT702F Indoor/Outdoor Amplified Antenna.

Do you think this would work out ok for a temp solution or is there a inexpensive antenna that you think would work out better. I do not want to spend a lot as I will be purchasing the antenna's recommended to me in the previous post in the spring. I just want to get through the rest of the winter.

Thanks in advance

al
agmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2014, 7:45 PM   #2
Jake V

If the antenna you have gets you enough stations to be happy through the winter, then stick with it.

You might post a list of stations you get, in the order they appear on your TV Fool chart, using the numbers in the "Real" column.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2014, 9:10 PM   #3
agmccall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
If the antenna you have gets you enough stations to be happy through the winter, then stick with it.

You might post a list of stations you get, in the order they appear on your TV Fool chart, using the numbers in the "Real" column.
All the information is in the original thread, that is why I linked to it, but the channels I get are 2.1, 2.2, and just recently started receiving 2.3

But that is with the antenna mentioned facing south

al
agmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2014, 9:59 PM   #4
Jake V

There is no real way to know until you try, but it is worthwhile to try.

Where is the antenna now? What does it look through (a wall? a window?)? It needs to be facing east to get the the other channels (CBS, FOX, ABC, etc.). The first thing I would do is to aim the antenna east (even if through a wall) and see what happens. Can you do this? You'll probably need to re-scan the channels to let your tv find them.

Do you have an east facing window? That would be a better choice than a north facing window since you have more channels facing east than you do north (and you might just keep your NBC 2.1). I'd try an east facing window first, then the north facing window. You really won't know until you try. If you only have a north facing window, aim the antenna so that the whole antenna looks through the glass as easterly as is possible. Aiming through glass will be much better than aiming through walls.
Old 1-Dec-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Jake V

Here's another possibility. Has your home ever had cable or satellite television? If yes, then you might have a connection box where your utilities are (it has coax wire going into it and is usually marked "cable tv" or with the name of the cable provider that installed it).

If you do have this, and it is on the east side of your house (or at least facing east) you might be able to install your antenna outdoors facing east to possibly get more signals without having the antenna "look" through walls. But try the above first.