TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Nov-2014, 4:04 AM   #1
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Tower ID assistance

Any idea as to the manufacturer of this tapered tower? I want to say Rohn, but it certainly is an older version than I am familiar with. Might be some oddball bolting method? I've seen some that look to have angle iron at the connections.

Thanks and yes I know it is huge, requiring double digit yards of concrete and a crane.

Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2014, 7:12 PM   #2
Tower Guy

That not a Rohn that I've ever seen. It seems similar to World Tower.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2014, 2:05 AM   #3
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Thanks, I'll start researching them. Probably out of business and finding pictures is a needle in a haystack.
Old 29-Nov-2014, 2:09 AM   #4
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Ok, I think I looked at that one before, but none of the current offerings look like the same setup. Not surprising though. Should be overkill for a couple tv antennas, but able to take some wind.
Old 29-Nov-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Stereocraig

Looks quite hefty, Flint.
What's the length and footprint?
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2014, 7:20 PM   #6
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Well, with cash in hand, pickup w/trailer and a 3hr drive... got there, and I turned around and left. It has 6' base up to about 24", four sticks totaling 80', just what I was looking for. However, I don't know where this thing lived or how it was built/maintained as it was rusted internally all to heck. I really thought I had something, built in ladder etc. I can see why this company whatever it was might be out of business. Had weep holes top and bottom of the horizontal pieces, don't know maybe that was part of the problem, along with lack of maintenance. Junk could get in at the top of a diagonal brace and if the weep hole was clogged... It was just eating itself alive.

Don't know if it was at some manufacturing facility or cement plant or what. I could have busted the bottom rung in two. Weep holes were full, galvanized bubbling in various places, skinned off in others. Big chunks of rust loose in the legs and the weep hole at the base for the legs was solid with crud. At the top there was a FIST sized hole in the leg - pass.

Only good thing is that I had not paid and had it shipped in to me - now that would be bad. Did find 240' of solid leg Pirod sitting on the ground in a small town along the way, tracked the owner down and left a message, but he is in a bunch of financial problems etc. So, who knows.

Old 30-Nov-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
Stereocraig

Sounds like a real downer.

Thankfully, you were hip to checking for internal corrosion, as well as its OD appearance.

Good luck on the 240'er and don't give up the hunt!
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2014, 1:27 AM   #8
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

I'm sure it will all turn out for the better. But, selling that rust bucket as a tower is pushing the boundaries to say the least. In the 2" legs you could reach in with your finger and knock around rust chunks that reminded me of Pringles potatoe chips, all curved uniformly. Scary.

It's Winter anyway, not like I'm really going to get it erected anytime soon, so there should be no "hurry"