TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2014, 2:12 AM   #1
Sjschmidtky

Novice Question: Front or Back

So, I installed a Channel Master 4228HD in my attic with good results and pointed it in the direction of most channels. My stupid question... Is there a front and a back to the antenna? I assumed the side with the attached cross wires was the front. Does it matter?

Thanks, Steve
Sjschmidtky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2014, 2:47 AM   #2
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

The side with all the whiskers is the front.

Yes it can make a difference on weak signals. It is technically a directional antenna and as such is designed for frontal gain and actually rejection to the rear.

Are you getting the channels you wanted?
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2014, 3:01 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

--------------------

The >< shaped metal wires are the receiving wires.

This is the front of the antenna.

The metal rods behind the wires , are the reflectors , that reflect more signal to the >< shaped metal receiving wires , then the >< shaped metal receiving wires , can receive without a reflector.

The metal reflector rods will reduce and block signal that arrives at the back of the antenna.

To prove that the metal reflector rods will reflect Tv signals away from the >< shaped metal wires.

Aim the Back of the antenna at a Weak Signal Strength Tv Station/Channel.

Now aim the Front of the antenna at the Weak Signal Strength Tv Station/Channel.

If you will like to prove that the metal reflector rods are providing more signal to the >< shaped metal reception wires at the Front of the antenna.

Then remove the metal reflector rods , so that only the >< shaped metal reception wires are receiving the Weak Signal Strength Tv Station/Channel.
Old 8-Jan-2014, 4:09 AM   #4
Sjschmidtky

Thanks

Yes, I'm getting the signals and have the whiskers pointed front ways. Just wanted to make sure I'm maximizing my number of signals. I enjoyed calling my cable provider today and canceling my paid service in favor of free service!
Sjschmidtky is offline   Reply With Quote