TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2014, 9:44 PM   #1
Apoculos

Antenna setup help: Oxford, MS

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9409317bee25 <- signal analysis

Hi everyone. I am cutting the cord and getting rid of direct tv! I am in need of some help. Above is the link to my signal analysis.. here is my setup and description of the problems I’m facing.

I have an HD Stacker Antenna(http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...enna-html.html) with a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT amp(http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-LNA-2...ywords=lna+200). Currently the antenna is about 18 feet in the air with 100 feet of coaxial cable(straight run no splitters or anything).

I’m basically right in the middle of Memphis, TN(338-346 degrees) and Tupelo, MS(151). I’d prefer to get all the Memphis channels cause there is more offered (bigger city). With the antenna plugged straight into the tv I can get most of the major networks(not ABC for some reason even though I get CW which comes from the same place) from Memphis, TN though they are prone to dropping out. If I turn it toward 151 I get a few of the channels from Tupelo, MS(ABC!/NBC) and still somehow get the Memphis NBC. When I do a scan with the antenna plugged into the amp with the pre amp plugged in the wall I get NOTHING from either direction. When I do a scan with the pre amp unplugged from the electricity I am able to get one channel (Memphis fox WHBQ-TV). I have recently gotten new RG6 cable and correctly installed compression f connectors just to be able to eliminate that as a potential problem. I have tried adding a 2 way splitter in case I’m “overloading” but that didn’t help at all.

Only ideas I have is maybe I got the wrong amp for my needs? Or maybe I need to add a bigger splitter if I’m in fact causing overload?

Look forward to hearing from you all and hopefully you can help me dump the dish once and for all!
Apoculos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Feb-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative effects are.

Absorbing and blocking reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the a antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind on the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

The Tv signal strengths are weak to very weak at your reception location and most have 2 Edge Path Obstructions = hills and mountains in the directions of reception.

For reception at your location install above the peak of the roof in such a manner that the roof and and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception to the , North West , South West , South East , East , North East.

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , HD1850 All channel antenna aimed at about 345 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-----------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G201 preamplifier.

------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

-----------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.antennacraft.net

www.ronard.com

www.amazon.com

--------------

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Channel scan for ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

------

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

-------------

Test reception using a Continues run of New coax from the preamp unit at the antenna location , run the coax direct to 1 Tv.

No splitters.

All parts of the satellite Tv system such as and not limited to , multi-switches , multi-plexers , splitters , couplers , amplifiers , power injectors , power supplies , and etc, must be disconnected and removed.

Yes the coaxes that we're used for the satellite system can be used for the antenna system.

---------------

The Current Tv channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Your location has receivable Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels in all 3 Tv bands.

Install the Antenna Craft , HD1850 All channel antenna.

--------------

I Never recommend the Stacker.

-----

The Stacker is designated to receive channels 7 thru 51.

Not VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

And even so I still Never recommend the Stacker.
Old 13-Feb-2014, 3:43 PM   #3
Apoculos

Thank you for the advice/links teleview.

I would like to think I can get my current antenna to do what I need.. I'm able to pull in most of the major networks with the stacker already (including low VHF channels) without any amplifier hooked up. We have been watching NBC/etc and its been pretty reliable with minimal dropouts.

I am wondering if maybe my amplifier is just a dud since I can't get anything when its plugged in and setup properly. Maybe I should just try picking up a cheap RCA amplifier locally and see how that goes.
Apoculos is offline   Reply With Quote