TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jan-2012, 7:49 PM   #1
yenelli
Seattle-Eastside

Antenna placement Seattle-eastside

I haven't bothered to hook up a TV at all for the past 3 or 4 years, but now I have a flat screen and it shows 22 channels using the rabbit ear antenna from my old CRT TV. But I want some advice re placement for a "real" antenna.

I already have 2 TV antennas (well with rabbit ears, 3): one in 2nd story attic, secured to the rafters has 5 rows of aluminum tubes from 36 inch length to 18 inch length (pic) transmitted 4,5,7,9,11,13,26 (at least) before the switchover from analog to digital. Newer model is 18x24 inch grid with multiple Xs resembles the "new DB4e HDTV antenna" in the advertisements on this site (mine is radio shack model).

Some of the air channels using the rabbit ears are HD. Which BIG antenna would perform better? Most images of installations show antennas as horizontal to the ground. Would perpendicular work? The antenna in the attic is tied up in the rafters at a rakish 45 degrees. Can I mount the small one outdoors flush with an outside wall that faces SSW? Would there be any benefit in COMBINING the two antennae? And if so, how?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9b39b763162

Also, I would appreciate someone explaining why I get 2 ea for 4, 5, 7 and 3 ea for 9, 33, etc. (33-1, 33-2, 33-3)--sometimes a completely different program, sometimes just a different format. In some weather (fog/wind) or placement, I get pixelation on some channels (neighbors who pay for cable TV get pixelation, too), but not often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120104_123834-1-1.jpg (7.7 KB, 667 views)
yenelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

One of the benefits of broadcasting a digital television signal rather than analog is the ability to send more than one program in the same channel bandwidth. You're seeing most broadcasters take advantage of the additional capacity. For instance, KING, KOMO and KIRO have each added a second network feed, (old movies, old TV shows and a sports channel) KCTS has added a Spanish language channel and the PBS-Create network.

To get a more reliable signal, outdoor mounting is usually best. The panel antenna can be wall mounted. Various hardware options exist: http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_wall_mounts.html for example, satellite dish J-poles can also be used.

To combine the old VHF antenna with the output of the UHF panel antenna, use a UVSJ: http://www.3starinc.com/uvsj_uhf_vhf...or_joiner.html

Your TV Fool report is one of the best I've seen here in the Seattle area. You enjoy a clear line of site to most every station.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2012, 8:00 AM   #3
yenelli
Seattle-Eastside

Smile

Thanks GUM! I DO have line of sight to the blinking red lights and the space needle...if it weren't for an intervening fir tree! Kinda silly to be proud of this, but I really like the idea of the panel up near the top of a wood chimney box. I may post a picture, if and when I get it up.
yenelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 8:40 AM   #4
be236

I noticed KCPQ's repeater channel on RF 22. Anyone know when this channel went live?

I am guessing it's recent, since lately it's been harder for me to catch CHAN (RF 22) from BC, due to this new co-channel interference?!
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote