TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Dec-2013, 12:35 AM   #21
No static at all

Do you happen to have a Zenith or Insignia digital to analog converter box lying around? (Or maybe from one of your friends)These models can be a great diagnostic tool as they will show if any signal at all is available, even if well below the digital threshold.

Also, is the antenna above the peak of the roof? If so, how far?

Last edited by No static at all; 3-Dec-2013 at 1:07 AM. Reason: Added antenna placement question
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2013, 1:49 AM   #22
dexxa

Wtvg is a little southwest of me, so i turned the antenna little more south becuse it seems like WTOL is south east of WTVG and scanned still nothing that's strange?
dexxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2013, 5:54 AM   #23
StephanieS

Yes, having a component ATSC tuner is advantageous to have around. I have an off brand Tivax that I have used to test reception and test if it's an internal TV tuner issue. Does the TV you are using allow manual channel input or allow for testing of signal strengths across all channels?

Being able to see if you indeed have a signal on WTOL is the next important step.

If a signal is there, but just below threshold I may consider ordering a bandpass filter. Essentially, instead of blocking FM which is what you are doing now, I'd try to knock everything down except the H-VHF frequencies.
With the bandpass, you'd be doing your best to knock down all the hash. You would likely lose all UHF and the Y5-7-13 would become exclusively for WTOL. A second antenna would have to take care of your other signals along the line of a Antennacraft HBU11 or the more expensive RCA ANT751.

If the signal isn't there, the Y10-7-13 may be your next step.

Once you establish reception, then you can finalize plans for configuration.

The bandpass would be something like this:

http://www.summitsource.com/pico-mac...1-p-10401.html

(others might have a better approach on this piece of equipment

Once you establish reception, a channel master join-tenna might be an option. For $3.99, this would allow you to combine two antennas into one lead.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/JO..._p/cm-0581.htm

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...na-%28hbu11%29

Last edited by StephanieS; 3-Dec-2013 at 7:27 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2013, 11:39 PM   #24
dexxa

Ok, i Received the Y10-7-13 this antenna i am receiving WTOL at 9.4db but noticed with a yagi antenna i'm not going to be able to get WTVG or Wtol at the same time. Is their something in a smaller antenna "not so directional" So i can pick up WTVG and WTOL so i wont have multiple antenna's? Since i live in a hoa condo i can go higher with my Antenna and know where the signal is im getting it right even with my roof line.. Could i go to a H-Vhf bow tie antenna smaller unit with more DB even if i add an amplifier to get more db out of it and if so.? what would you recommend?
Old 4-Dec-2013, 2:59 AM   #25
StephanieS

Dexxa,

I wouldn't advise an all in one antenna in your situation. The reason being, to receive WTOL you would need an aggressive aerial along the lines of a Winegard HD 7698P. The problem is you have such strong signals in your area, a stronger, higher gain antenna would apply that gain to the strong signals as well Thus, creating a potential for overload with your reciever.

With the upgrade to the Y10-7-13 other than WTOL are you recieving all the local channels you want?

If so, a rotor might be an option and you may be able to get by without a second UHF/VHF antenna for your locals.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2013, 4:11 AM   #26
dexxa

[QUOTE=No static at all;40322]Do you happen to have a Zenith or Insignia digital to analog converter box lying around? (Or maybe from one of your friends)These models can be a great diagnostic tool as they will show if any signal at all is available, even if well below the digital threshold.

Also, is the antenna above the peak of the roof? If so, how far?[/QU

The Antenna is about 2 feet above the peak of the house.
Old 5-Dec-2013, 5:34 AM   #27
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Could i go to a H-Vhf bow tie antenna smaller unit with more DB even if i add an amplifier to get more db out of it and if so.? what would you recommend?
Which make and model of H-Vhf bow tie antenna are you thinking of? The available panel antennas that I'm familiar with offer some VHF capability are primarily UHF antennas, their VHF performance is significantly less than the Y10713 (which is the current consumer grade 'big gun' H-VHF option). (When you mention 'H-Vhf bow tie', I think of old antennas such as this huge array from the 1950's: http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/vqbf51jo58qxhb.jpg This beast was about 9' x 9' and required a 10' mast just to support it's back side. Additional mast was needed to actually put it in the air.)

No amplifier will add gain to the antenna. Amplifiers can only 'push' signal through the loss of cable and splitters on the output of the amp. (In some cases, an amplifier may help overcome some of the internal noise of a tuner.)

Quote:
The Antenna is about 2 feet above the peak of the house.
I'd try higher, to see if you can make both RCH-11 and RCH-13 reliable with a single aim point.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 5-Dec-2013 at 5:51 AM. Reason: FINCO 400-A
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2013, 8:48 PM   #28
dexxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Do you happen to have a Zenith or Insignia digital to analog converter box lying around? (Or maybe from one of your friends)These models can be a great diagnostic tool as they will show if any signal at all is available, even if well below the digital threshold.

Also, is the antenna above the peak of the roof? If so, how far?
I happen to have a senith converter box.. so i hooked it up and channel 11.1 is in the "week" category so i tried tuning it with antenna it come up saying WTOL but week cant seem to get it into good section?
Old 6-Dec-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexxa View Post
I happen to have a senith converter box.. so i hooked it up and channel 11.1 is in the "week" category so i tried tuning it with antenna it come up saying WTOL but week cant seem to get it into good section?
Does WTOL decode with the Zenith Converter or just show a weak signal? I thought you were receiving WTOL with your regular TV since adding the Y10-7-13 antenna? Are you still using the FM trap?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote