TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jul-2013, 7:09 PM   #1
The Rodfather

New to OTA and you guessed it.... Need antenna advice

Hi all, after much wavering and procrastination I have decided to ditch cable in favor of OTA TV. I have done some researching and am still not sure I am capable of choosing the right antenna for my location. I am currently using 2 TVs and will be adding a third in the future. Here is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae7d4180dc28

While I realize that it is not ideal, I plan on installing the antenna in the attic but may move it to the roof if the reception is not adequate. I am mainly interested in the channels within about a 40deg. arc to the north. Most of the channels are UHF but I am interested in VHF channels 7 & 13.

I have considered the HBU-33, and the Winegard HD7697P. I had thought the Antennas Direct 91XG a possibility but was unsure if I would need to add an additional antenna for VHF 7 & 13. I would be very satisfied with the channels in yellow and above in the report, and any additional channels would be a bonus.

I have found this site very informative and helpful, but still am not sure if I am considering all factors in this decision. I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
The Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2013, 1:03 AM   #2
teleview

Install a Antenna craft , HBU33 antenna in the attic.

Aimed at about 2 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Install a Winegard , LNA-100 'Boost' , antenna system amplifier.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

As you are aware , attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and never will be a reception friendly environment.

Reasons:

Multi-path/reflections Tv signals bouncing all around.

Absorbing Tv reception.

Blocking Tv reception.

If reception situations/problems happen that are not resolvable with adjusting antenna aim and antenna location in the attic then move the HBU33 antenna to above the roof in such a manner that reception is not impeded and blocked by the roof and house in the directions of , North West , North , North East , South East.

The HBU33 antenna above the roof is aim the same direction , about 2 degree magnetic compass direction.