TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Apr-2014, 9:11 PM   #1
98mystique2

Build Buy? How much money to spend? Is it possible? Rockford getting Chicago TV

Like the title states I live in rockford, and did a TV Fool Already,
(15 foot height, (pole on the back deck)) http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94133c70bede
(35 foot height, (somehow getting my land lord to allow me to slap an antenna 10 feet high on the roof)) http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94c81a39bc77

My current setup is comcast and an AMD All in wonder Cablecard tuner in my computer. I'm paying 70 bucks a month for internet and local tv. Local TV doesn't include chicago WGN which has black hawks games and the sports package is another 10 bucks a month. With that my idea is to ditch comcast and find other alternatives for internet.

I've been poking around the site for a few days but haven't had enough time to thoroughly research everything. How much money am I looking at spending and is it even possible to do what i'm trying to do RELIABLY. I'm gathering I'll need to get a preamp nomatter what

The channels I care about the most would probably be WFLD and WGN (all 111* and the other chicago channels though 2 is meh) this is a view from my back deck (hoping I could just put an antenna there) facing ~111*

Do I just wing it and buy an antenna and see? Is there a specific setup that would work best? Can I build an antenna? Any advice or pointing in the right direction would be fantastic

Thanks,
Steve

Reliability is probably the most key thing to me, with price obviously being a close second, I'd like to know what i'm up against here.
98mystique2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
98mystique2

Annoyingly enough when calling to cancel comcast they lowered my rates to what i'd be paying without tv for just slower internet so i'm sticking with them for now... I'm still interested in trying to get chicago stations to at least pick up WGN, (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d20)
Have people had luck building yagi antennas for single channels (in this case UHF 19)?
I'm guessing a single frequency antenna would be better suited for low strength or would it be fesable to attempt to get all the channels?
Old 3-Apr-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Tower Guy

Reception of WGN will be very tricky because WGN shares channel 19 with WMTV, but WMTV is 14 db stronger than WGN. To pick up WGN you will need to stack two long yagis exactly 51 inches apart. See www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/ganging.html for the explanation.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
98mystique2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Reception of WGN will be very tricky because WGN shares channel 19 with WMTV, but WMTV is 14 db stronger than WGN. To pick up WGN you will need to stack two long yagis exactly 51 inches apart. See www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/ganging.html for the explanation.
aren't yagi's quite directional and at 138 degrees difference from the signal i'd be ok?